Return to the House Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
how often do i use baby bio & can i use it on all these plants

Posted by nebula18 none (My Page) on
Fri, Mar 23, 12 at 12:54

I have

Mother In Laws Tongue
Peace Lily
Sweetheart Plant (Philodendron Scandens)
Spider Plant
Begonia Rex
Various Cacti

I'm pretty sure its ok to use baby bio on all of these right?

But how often do I give it to them? Someone told me to do it every time I water them but I water some of them like 2 - 3 times a week and others only once every 2 weeks.

Then someone different said to do it every 7 weeks.

I'm just confused. I know it should only be done in the growing season (March/April to September/October) but it doesn't say on the bottle how often to give it to the plants.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: how often do i use baby bio & can i use it on all these plant

Nebula, what's baby bio? Toni

o

its a house plant fertilizer

Here is a link that might be useful: baby bio

o

Nebula, I Googled and Bing'd, but couldn't find an answer to your dossage question.

Baby Bio is used mainly in UK and Asia, manufactured by several companies including Bayer.

Sorry, I couldn't be more help..Toni

o

I've never heard of this either but pls. don't use it on the Cacti, it's likely not a good idea (succulents & cacti don't need anywhere near the fertilizer levels of 'houseplant' types) so I'd just skip it for them completely.

o

• Posted by tapla z5b-6a mid-MI (My Page) on
    Sat, Mar 24, 12 at 11:33

At 10.6-4.4-1.7 NPK %s its pretty high in P and quite low in K for houseplants, but it's still a so-so fertilizer and a better choice than any of the fertilizers with P (the middle number) as the highest %.

How you fertilize to get the most out of your plants depends on your soil and watering habits. If you water in sips, you might fertilize at low doses infrequently - like maybe every month or so. If you flush the soil regularly when you water, it would be more appropriate to fertilize more frequently at higher doses. W/o some knowledge of the type of soil you're using and some knowledge of how you water, no one can really give you any meaningful advice.

It took quite a bit of looking to determine the NPK %s of the fertilizer, but I have no idea what other nutrients it contains. It's important that your plant gets all the nutrients essential to growth - do you have any information that points to its complete nutrient content?

It's NPK %s indicate it would be ok for any of your plants, but for the slow growers you might want to cut back on the concentration. It's just another soluble fertilizer, cut from the same cloth as Miracle-Gro, Peters, Schultz, and others.

Tell me how you water and I should be able to give you a dosage that will work.

Al

o

Nebula - the instructions are on the back of the bottle. But bear in mind they want you to buy more of it so take them with a pinch of salt. I use it occasionally but nothing like every time I water. More like once a month to 6 weeks and only in the growing season ie summer. I wouldn't use it on the Sanseveria (MILT) or the cacti. The plants you list are all pretty forgiving so I wouldn't worry too much about getting it exactly right. My Spathyphyllum is several years old and I hardly ever remember to feed it. It's about 2 feet across.

Baby Bio is an old established brand in the UK. The bottle I have has a diamond jubilee label - that's how long it's been around.

o

• Posted by tapla z5b-6a mid-MI (My Page) on
    Sat, Mar 24, 12 at 17:26

There is no reason I can think of to avoid using it on cacti or sans, and there are assuredly choices used regularly that are much worse.

Al

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the House Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here