Houzz Logo Print
nebula18

how often do i use baby bio & can i use it on all these plants

nebula18
12 years ago

I have

Mother In Laws Tongue

Peace Lily

Sweetheart Plant (Philodendron Scandens)

Spider Plant

Begonia Rex

Various Cacti

I'm pretty sure its ok to use baby bio on all of these right?

But how often do I give it to them? Someone told me to do it every time I water them but I water some of them like 2 - 3 times a week and others only once every 2 weeks.

Then someone different said to do it every 7 weeks.

I'm just confused. I know it should only be done in the growing season (March/April to September/October) but it doesn't say on the bottle how often to give it to the plants.

Comments (7)

• birdsnblooms
    12 years ago

Nebula, what's baby bio? Toni

• nebula18
    Original Author
    12 years ago

its a house plant fertilizer

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:77927}}

• birdsnblooms
    12 years ago

Nebula, I Googled and Bing'd, but couldn't find an answer to your dossage question.

Baby Bio is used mainly in UK and Asia, manufactured by several companies including Bayer.

Sorry, I couldn't be more help..Toni

• pirate_girl
    12 years ago

I've never heard of this either but pls. don't use it on the Cacti, it's likely not a good idea (succulents & cacti don't need anywhere near the fertilizer levels of 'houseplant' types) so I'd just skip it for them completely.

• tapla (mid-Michigan, USDA z5b-6a)
    12 years ago

At 10.6-4.4-1.7 NPK %s its pretty high in P and quite low in K for houseplants, but it's still a so-so fertilizer and a better choice than any of the fertilizers with P (the middle number) as the highest %.

How you fertilize to get the most out of your plants depends on your soil and watering habits. If you water in sips, you might fertilize at low doses infrequently - like maybe every month or so. If you flush the soil regularly when you water, it would be more appropriate to fertilize more frequently at higher doses. W/o some knowledge of the type of soil you're using and some knowledge of how you water, no one can really give you any meaningful advice.

It took quite a bit of looking to determine the NPK %s of the fertilizer, but I have no idea what other nutrients it contains. It's important that your plant gets all the nutrients essential to growth - do you have any information that points to its complete nutrient content?

It's NPK %s indicate it would be ok for any of your plants, but for the slow growers you might want to cut back on the concentration. It's just another soluble fertilizer, cut from the same cloth as Miracle-Gro, Peters, Schultz, and others.

Tell me how you water and I should be able to give you a dosage that will work.

Al

• flora_uk
    12 years ago

Nebula - the instructions are on the back of the bottle. But bear in mind they want you to buy more of it so take them with a pinch of salt. I use it occasionally but nothing like every time I water. More like once a month to 6 weeks and only in the growing season ie summer. I wouldn't use it on the Sanseveria (MILT) or the cacti. The plants you list are all pretty forgiving so I wouldn't worry too much about getting it exactly right. My Spathyphyllum is several years old and I hardly ever remember to feed it. It's about 2 feet across.

Baby Bio is an old established brand in the UK. The bottle I have has a diamond jubilee label - that's how long it's been around.

• tapla (mid-Michigan, USDA z5b-6a)
    12 years ago

There is no reason I can think of to avoid using it on cacti or sans, and there are assuredly choices used regularly that are much worse.

Al

Sponsored
Grow Landscapes
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Planning Your Outdoor Space in Loundon County?