Return to the House Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Will Soft Water Hurt my house plants?

Posted by desertdance So CA Zone 9b (My Page) on
Sun, Mar 23, 14 at 13:00

We recently moved to a new piece of property. The water is so hard, the dishwasher turned my black dishes and clear glasses a dusty gray, so we purchased a whole house water softening system.

Now, I'm wondering how this water softener will affect my house plants. I've been going outside to the hard water faucet with a watering can to use that, but it's kind of a pain to do that.

Advice please.

Thanks!
Suzi

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Will Soft Water Hurt my house plants?

I'm pretty sure you don't want either hard or soft water for your plants. I forget the reasons, but I do remember reading that somewhere.

Planto

o

If you use softened water on your house plants and your landscape, over time the salt will build up in the soil and cause your plants to die of thirst. If you live in an area that doesn’t get much rainfall, the salt will not get washed out or percolate deep enough into the soil to be diluted. High concentration of salt in soil decreases oxygen levels, causes the soil to swell and become compacted. When this happens, plants cannot get enough nutrients to their roots and they die.

o

OK! Thanks! The only soft water is in the house. All outside irrigation is hard water provided by the Agricultural District in our area. It contains minerals for sure, but salt isn't among them.

We are on the same water source that is used by all the Citrus Orchards and Farms in the valley below.

I will only use distilled or outside water on my houseplants.

Thanks so much!
Suzi

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the House Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here