Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
auron22

I've got a fever...

auron22
11 years ago

Orchid fever! Meijer has frustrated me once more. They had a huge display of orchids for sale. Wasn't really too interested in the typical phalaenopsis colors...but i saw 3 oncidiums. One of which i've never seen, the other two i think are the most popular oncidiums, the ones that smell like chocolate. I want them! The one i had never seen had huge white flowers splashed with lilac purple in the centers. About 6 inches wide.....i'm so anxious my stomach hurts, but they were about 25-35 bucks each...When is spring going to come and save me from splurging on house plants? Figured i would post here, everyone that reads the orchid forum has orchid fever anyways, and i know other people here have had a hankerin' for some kind of house plant...I think i'm going to torture myself one afternoon and stare a all the plants in every department store close to me. I need a fix.

Comments (13)

• birdsnblooms
    11 years ago

Hi Auron,

Are Orchids your favorite plants?

Actually, 25.00 for an Oncidium in a 6" pot isn't too expensive. Now, 35.00 is a different story, unless the variety is rare or you, must have it!

Phalaenopsis is usually the least expensive orchid, yet, Home Depot charges 29.99-39.99.
    See what I mean?

If you check Ebay, most sellers want $12 and up for Oncidiums w/2-3 leaves.
    Orchid nurseries are costlier.

So, to cure your plant-bug, why not buy one now? Unless Meijer's orchids sell fast, you can always go back and purchase orchid #2.

Good luck reducing your fever. lol. Toni

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    11 years ago

Yes, they're just expensive at WM here too. What stops me from buying one is that I'm usually alone and they just don't look like they could make the ride home with someone holding it. I'm so clumsy, I'd get longer-lasting enjoyment from a bouquet than a flower stalk I'm sure I'd break on the way home, maybe even in the parking lot.

I used to buy a lot of plants at Meijer but they don't have any stores down here. Are you in MI or OH?

I thought you were going to say you had the fever for more cow bell, but you're burnin' for, burnin' for, burnin' for, burnin' for orchids.

• auron22
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Purple - I live in NW ohio :)

Toni - I'm so glad to hear that it is a reasonable price....because..................

I bought two of them. I had to go back before they were gone. I don't think they sell very fast, but they ALWAYS have at minimum 10 orchids, a lot more when it is close to holidays. So i assume that the orchids do actually sell. I'm surprised a superstore like meijer has the selection of house plants that they do....makes me look forward to grocery shopping every time. I'll post pics.

• auron22
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I believe this is oncidium 'Sherry baby'. It has a somewhat strong smell. Chocolate like scent, like opening a container of malt balls, and somewhat floral. Love it.

• auron22
    Original Author
    11 years ago

No idea what this is called. I'm guessing some sort of oncidium because of the pseudo bulbs. I'll probably post about any questions i have in orchid forum. Much larger flowers than sherry baby, about 4-4 1/2 inches across. I can't describe the scent other than it is like a perfume. Not as strong though.

• auron22
    Original Author
    11 years ago

It's way too hard for me to say if it is my favorite plant. My enthusiasm was learned (probably..) from my father. He could never keep one alive, because he loses track of time, but they were his favorite. I think the only flowers he liked more were dahlias. As a flower, it might be my favorite flowering house plant. If it were as easy as a peace lily, then it would definetly be my favorite overall...but alas they are not so tolerant.

• delreytropical
    11 years ago

I am dying for spring to roll through, ive spent way too much on houseplants!! Everytime I go to Home Depot I fall in love with a houseplant or three!

• auron22
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Delrey - If i could have, i would have bought every houseplant i saw this winter. But then my house might turn into a graveyard for plants from all the required upkeep...and i don't have that kind of money. I need spring now more than ever. I'm dying for some cherry blossoms.

• delreytropical
    11 years ago

Yes! soon it seems, I cannot wait for my forsythia to come in to play. My windows are as full as they can be with houseplants, propagation and what not.

• birdsnblooms
    11 years ago

Auron. You bought both? LOL. Natural instinct, right?
    I had a feeling you'd end up with an orchid, although I wasn't sure you'd get two. :)

The flowers are Gorgeous! Can't decide which I like better.
    Do you know if they're long-bloomers and/or how often they flower per year?

Somewhere in IL is a Meijer's, but I believe it's too far to drive.
    You never know what you'll find at your local grocery store.
    I shop at Jewel's and Dominick's. Both stores sell plants, but most are plain, ordinary types.
    Every so often, Jewel's has one rarity. One in quantity.

Your dad has good taste. Dahlias are the prettiest of all garden plants.

Good luck. I'm certain you'll find many on the Orchid Forum with tons of information.

Delrey, are you forcing Forsythia branches? Toni

11 years ago

Eh, oh, way to go, Ohio. Those are BEAUTIFUL!! Great job getting them home too.

• auron22
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Toni - If by instinct you mean that anxious feeling in my gut so intense it's gonna burst out if i don't do it, then yes....instinct. I don't believe oncidiums, the subgenus oncidiinae, or any hybrids crossed with them flower as freely and long phalaenopsis (Those orchids you see at every store that only have leaves as a base). But, they get pups, and pup like crazy. So in time, and under ideal conditions, during flowering there will be a LOT more than any phal can provide. Those that like to propogate will appreciate this orchid more.I believe blooming can be spring/fall and last a month +, maybe 3+?. I don't know a whole lot about their flowering since oncidiums are not as popular as phals. Meijer is the same with their orchids, most are typical and boring, but once in a blue moon they nab something like these.

I personally like the larger, white flowers more. But according to orchid forum, it is a cross between the subgenus and something else...so it might not get as many pups or flowers. If it were physically possible and we were not total strangers, i would hug you. ...I'm ecstatic over the idea forcing forsythia into bloom. Thank you for sharing that. I am just now trying that out.

Purple - i was incredibly careful bringing them home after reading how you were with them....I had a friend help me. Told him to wait in the front of the store for me to pull up just so the cold would not harm it. Might have been a little paranoid...

11 years ago

No, I don't think so, those things were expensive!!