Return to the House Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
strande yellow residue found - repotting pothos

Posted by NUH0ME0WNER none (My Page) on
Tue, Mar 19, 13 at 13:04

I have a pothos plant (4 years old) that lived in a not so sunny apartment, in a corner over 3 1/2 years. I repotted it once into a hanging plastic pot.

Plant is looking beautiful despite being neglected for months while we looked for a new home. Now I'm repotting it and found little yellow granules (looks like termite dust) all around the walls of the pot.

What can this be?

The plant looks healthy and now that we are in a light filled home the plant seems to be loving it.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: strande yellow residue found - repotting pothos

Sounds like salt/hard water deposits. Pothos don't seem to mind that stuff much, but repotting after a time period like that is a great idea. Congrats on your new home and light!

o

No, not deposits...at least if this stuff is found on the inside if the pots and not the outside. We get posts and even pictures about this a few times a year, but I'll be DARNED if I can remember what it is.

What I'm thinking of is loose and granulated, clearly associated with potting medium, usually found clinging to the inside walls or the bottom, near the drainage hole.. I'm thinking something to do with hyphae or mycelium of saprophytic fungi.

Am I describing it right, NU?

o

Could be mold from the soil itself. If it's yellow, this stuff forms in wet plants and occasionally even in totally dry plants. Usually though, it's caused by overwet conditions, not enough light and older soil (i.e. In plants which haven't been repotted for a long time). It can be found on the surace or in the soil itself - also around drainage holes. If left unchecked the mold will grow into little mushrooms which can sprought up over night,. I had problems with my bamboo plant, and an aloe plant, as well as a spider plant.

My advice is to repot the plant in fresh soil - it probably needs it anyway, and make sure the plant can drain properly. Also make sure that it's getting adequate light - which it sounds like it is, so that's good. Upon repotting the plant, you shouldn't have anymore problems with the yellow mold growth.

Eirinn

Here is a link that might be useful: Yellow Mushroom Post

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the House Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here