Return to the House Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Clovis or amaryllis?

Posted by greendale 6B (My Page) on
Sun, Mar 24, 13 at 13:07

I got this plant from a florist shop. The owner did not know what it is. I was hoping it is a clivia , then the owner got a book and point to me said it is a amaryllis. Thanks in advance

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Clovis or amaryllis?

Hi Greendale,

You got your wish. Your plant is a Clivia and nice-looking, too. Toni

o

Thank you. Toni, the leaves are a little bit yellow, is that normal or what could cause the yellowing ?

o

Hello Toni!

The 'fading' could be from too much sunlight.

Believe me, if it were yellowing you would know it, and the yellowing usually is very yellow starting at the tips.

Mike

o

Thank you mike,
The clivia is heavily root-bounded, it almost has no soil, I reported it into a gritty mix with 2 parts of barks and pruned sone long roots shot(maybe I should not). That was 2 days ago and I have not watered. We will see how it responds to my treatment.
And yes I am very glad it is clivia!
Thanks

o

Looks like it needs fertilizer to me.

o

Morning,

Greendale. Your Clivia looks green, very healthy, and symetrically potted.
When Clivia leaves yellow, it's usually due to over-watering.
Sometimes, older, lower foliage yellows naturally.

Oh, goodness, yes! Clivia roots get large. My oldest Clive cracked 3 pots. lol. It's now in a 10" container.

Cons repotting Clivias. '
Sometimes' repotting disturbs the following years' blooms.
Also, Clivias are more likely to flower when, 'somewhat' pot bound, although, once roots fill the pot to the point water drains w/o wetting roots, Clivia definately needs a larger container.

Green, is there a reason you didn't water after repotting?

Howdy Mike. You have Clivias, right?

o

I did not water the clivia because I pruned some very long roots when repotting. So I thought wait two days to water it. And fertilize will be my next step. It has yellow spot on the leaves, and the color is not very dark green like I saw on the web. As I said it was very root bound when I bought it, so I think lack of nutrition is a reasonable guess too. I will start fertilize it soon, it already got watered once after the repotting.
Thanks again

o

Here are some pictures show the yellow spots

o

More pic

o

Another

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the House Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here