Return to the House Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Iris help

Posted by jennifer3120 none (My Page) on
Sat, Mar 15, 14 at 13:09

I purchased this Iris plant at the grocery store and brought it home last week. Within two days each of the flowers withered and died so I cut them off. The plant itself has been thriving and the green "shoots" have now within 5 days grown to twice their original size.

I have been keeping the plant inside, but I'm confused about how to take care of it now as it appears that it is quickly outgrowing the little plastic pot it is in.

Should I trim it in some way? Should I buy a bigger pot? Should I keep it inside or move it outside onto my balcony? Is it a bad sign that the flowers themselves died? What can I do to get it to bloom again?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Iris help

What you bought is not so much an Iris 'plant' as a pot containing several Iris corms most of which have already flowered. Iris reticulata are not indoor plants but very hardy outdoor spring corms. I would suggest you put this pot in the coolest, lightest place you can find e.g. glazed porch. They are very hardy and you can plant the whole clump outside as soon as all the corms have flowered if your soil is workable and it's not too cold i.e. below freezing.

Even outside the flowers do not last more than a few days and inside where it is too hot for them they will last even less time. The ones which have flowered will not flower again until next spring. And they are very prone to not returning at all in less than optimal conditions The foliage always grows tall after flowering but yours will have become etiolated through being inside where it is too dark and too warm for these plants. Do not trim it. Bulbous plants should never be trimmed as the foliage is busy building up the bulb or corm for next year.

o

Hi,

Until someone else comes along w/ more info., pls. take the purple decorative cover off the plant so it can drain, you'll want to put some kind of saucer beneath it.

o

Welcome to Gardenweb! Do you know your garden zone? You can find it here. Iris reticulata is reported to be hardy (can grow in the ground all year) as low as Z5. From your mention of a balcony, you may not have ground space for gardening?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the House Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here