Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
elkay_gw

Day 28 - attempted sans propagation.............

elkay_gw
13 years ago

....NOTHING!

{{gwi:78078}}

I made up two pots containing 3 leaf sections each - one clay pot, one plastic pot and each has a different growing medium - just to see how it goes. One leaf section in the clay pot turned translucent and keeled over. The others are ok, I think. Hopefully I will see some new growth in the next two weeks. I wish I had more patience.

Comments (11)

• tapla (mid-Michigan, USDA z5b-6a)
    13 years ago

I'm chuckling at the 'patience' thing. I remember when I was that way. The cure for that is more plants and a little more confidence-building experience. After you've rooted your sans and repeated the performance a few times, you'll lose the anxiety and you'll more readily shift to 'plant time' instead of people time.

If you're zone 5, I would expect your plants to take a little extra time to root at this point in their growth cycle, so don't think it's too unusual. Their stored energy level was probably at the lowest point in the growth cycle, and light levels are still pretty low.

I'm not sure what the soil temperature is, but if you can keep it at 65-70*, it will speed things along - in plant time, of course. ;-) Also, more plants will help take your focus off of one particular thing you might be concentrating on, like rooting your sans - "a watched pot never boils". Oh yeah - I guess you're already trying for more plants!

Try not to be tempted to check for roots or 'tug' to see if they are rooted. That will just break newly formed/forming hair roots and set the cutting back.

Good luck!!

Al

• karate626
    13 years ago

lol My plant took years to grow a "pup". It looked like yours for about 2 years before growing a single leaf. Later that leaf formed into a pup and now (about 5 years later) I have a plant with half a leaf and one pup. This plant requires a lot of patience!

T.J.

Here is a link that might be useful: This is my post on this topic.

• pirate_girl
    13 years ago

Hi Elkay,

You may want to give up counting the days. Not useful for this plant, more like months or years. I've had it take a year to produce a single leaf from a leaf cutting.

28 days in Sans. time is but the blink of an eye.

I grow a lot of them these days & recently put up a couple of pots of leaf sections same as you did.

• jodik_gw
    13 years ago

Some helpful tips include bottom heat... if you can access a small plant heat mat, cuttings respond to soil warmth, as Al indicates in his post above. Another tip is to keep the rooting cuttings out of direct sunlight... they can't really synthesize any sun, and will put all their energy into rooting. Humidity helps, if you can maintain a rather humid atmosphere around them... placing a baggie over the pot can help with that.

Patience is huge in gardening... it's very true that a watched pot never seems to boil, and some plant types can take a long time to produce roots... so have a little patience. :-)

• elkay_gw
    Original Author
    13 years ago

YIKES! TWO YEARS!

After reading people's experiences propagating this plant by leaf sections, I WAS expecting to see something in 4 to 6 wks - but then, this is not exactly "growing season" in the north east, as Al stated. I'll just have to wait and see. I guess I should have waited until spring/summer to try this, but I thought.....what the heck, I'll do it now and maybe get a jump on the growing season.

Thanks for the info.

• tapla (mid-Michigan, USDA z5b-6a)
    13 years ago

Lol - it will assuredly help you earn your patience wings.
    {{gwi:78079}}

Al

• norma_2006
    13 years ago

I am not new to the Species of Sansevieria, but new to this forum, I don't know if the group would welcome some suggestion on how to start them from leaf and rhyizomes. I don't want to butt in if not wanted. Norma

• norma_2006
    13 years ago

Mine have rooted down in about 2 weeks. Norma

• elkay_gw
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Norma....PLEASE post away! Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! :)

• albert_135   39.17°N 119.76°W 4695ft.
    13 years ago

I once had about 400 Sansevieria most from propagation by cuttings. I would not think 28 days too surprising. You know that the variegated green and yellow ones are usually slower and in all probability will not put off yellow and green pups from leaf cuttings. For this plant I would have taken a whole leaf with a bit of rhizome at the base.

• pirate_girl
    13 years ago

Elkay,

Before Norma even answers, pls. know she has some special circumstances which undoubtedly help her root these so fast.

(I don't know where you are in Zone 5), she's in CA, near LA, can grow outside if she chooses & she has a greenhouse. 3 factors which all make a BIG difference, at least from my circumstances; NYC, grow indoors only & have BIG seasonal differences.