Return to the House Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Aloe plant, cutting off at the root?

Posted by emmagarden 8 (My Page) on
Wed, Mar 17, 10 at 13:20

Hello everyone. I have a fairly large aloe plant that unfortunately has a long stem. I've read that I can cut the plant off at the base and replant it. I don't want to kill my plant!
If I do cut off the stem of this plant do I let it try out for a day or two before planting?

I've made a video where you can see the plant. Check out the link :)

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Here is a link that might be useful: My aloe plant on YouTube

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Aloe plant, cutting off at the root?

I think you can do this; I've potted up offsets from Aloes of various kinds where the roots snapped while I was dividing them, and they started fine. You probably should let it dry for a day or two before planting, though I never have with said offsets and it's still worked out. (Soil choice matters a lot, though: nonsterile or soggy mixes may lead to rot if you don't let the cutting callus first.) Bottom heat has seemed to help mine, the times I've tried.

You may want to get a second opinion from the Cactus & Succulent Forum, but I don't see a problem with this.

o

Well Emma,

I would suggest pls. that you DO go next door to the Cactus & Succulent Forum, read lots of Aloe posts & the FAQs.

I'm suggesting this 'cause (1) your pots are too big for your plants (& increase the likelihood of their rotting) & (2) the mix isn't quite right, needs to be grittier & more fast draining.

o

Emma, I can't help...well I did read recently that we shouldn't put the "stem' in the soil, but going to the cactus and succulent forum will give you some great answers.

I do have a question for you and others here that grow the same Aloe..I have one too, but it's a baby.

What type of light do they need? I've read various opinions about getting direct sunlight to only giving them bright light.

For those of you who grow them successfully, what type of light do you give your Aloe like the one Emma has?

o

Emma,

A question much like yours was asked and answered over at the C&S Forum - the link to that thread is below.

You can put the healed-over end in a potting mixture, but you just want to ensure that the soil stays dry until there are roots.

OO,

Give your Aloes as much light as you can, but gradually so. Most of the 300-odd species grow best in full sun. As it's grown in full sun, you'll find that it will grow faster and be thirstier than one grown in more-shaded conditions. The sunned Aloe will also be more colourful:

Photobucket

Here is a link that might be useful: Get On Up With The Aloe

o

Oak, I agree with Cactusm. They are sun-lovers. But never place a plant, even high-light plants, in direct sun without first acclimating. Moreso since your Aloe is a youngster.

Cactus, which Aloe species is that? Wow, the color is lovely..so red. Its shape isn't the same as Aloe Vera..Are its edges prickly? Toni

o

Toni,

That's Aloe tauri ((named for a Mr. Bullock, btw) and its teeth aren't terribly prickly, as Aloe teeth go.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the House Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here