Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sarah1502

New spider plant dying

Sarah1502
11 years ago

My new spider plant that I purchased only a week ago seems to be dying. The leaves are turning yellow from the tips and then quickly wilting and drying up. The plant was wet when I purchased it, but it didn't seem too bad. It's still very moist.

I have it in a bright location. I have not found any pests. I think that the problem is the soil is too wet and hasn't dried out. I do not have any gritty mix right now, but I have regular soil, cactus soil and perlite. Would repotting into some combination of these work or at least make an improvement until I can get something different?

Sorry no pic. I'm working today. I appreciate any advice.

Comments (5)

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    11 years ago

Whatever kind of mix you could make with what you have that is chunky and porous would be good. Is the info here useful?

• Lamora
    11 years ago

I know that mine does not like tap water. She almost died on me!! When I started using distilled or filtered water, she really picked up. I wait till the soil is dry before watering/feeding her. Almost to the point to where she is wilting some, but not a lot. She is in the 5-1-1 mix.

I am by no means a professional on this~~ Just telling you my experiences. :)

Marjie

• christine1950
    11 years ago

I would re-pot it right away and get it out of that wet soil, I let mine almost dry out completely between watering's. I do use tap water after it's been sitting at least 24-48 hours and I've never had a problem.

• teengardener1888
    11 years ago

can you show a photo

• Sarah1502
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks for the replies. When I got home tonight I repotted it in the best mix that I could with what I have on hand. Maybe sometime next week or next weekend, I will have time to purchase the ingredients for gritty mix or 5-1-1. I'm an accountant, and right now I am swamped at work. But, I just can't let my little plants suffer! ;)

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading Kitchen & Bath Remodelers in Franklin County, OH