Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tuckamore

Philodendron?? ID

Tuckamore
11 years ago

Hello again,

I have already posted about help with my heart shaped philodendron. Now I have a question about 2 other plants that I believe are philodendron.

One is very pale green and very thick and healthy in a hanging pot. Leaves are heart shaped but much lighter than the heart shaped philo and the stems have ridges rather than being round. Also, unlike the heart philo I cannot just put a cutting into soil and get it to grow...stubborn thing!

Plant two has the same leaf shape but its leaves have 2 colors, dark green with splotches of yellow/pale green. Again very healthy but I only have the one shoot of this plant that is about 6' long (liberated from an overgrown plant in a pool house lol) and i want to start another but I'm afraid to cut it cause I only have the one so I as a positive ID before I try anything.

Any ID or care tips would be great!!!

Thanks!!

Comments (21)

• birdsnblooms
    11 years ago

Hi Tuckamore,

Without pictures, it's hard to ID.

Are both Philos, cuttings?

Check P. squamiferum.
    When young, leaves are semi-heart shape, but morph at maturity.
    Stems on P. squamiferum have ridges and fuzzy.

Your second Philo might be P. 'Brazil'. Google, Philodendron 'Brazil' Toni

• wndy_gardenweb
    11 years ago

Hi Tuck, welcome to the forums!

I'm new too :-) Do you have a cell phone with a camera or a camera? A photo is super helpful in identifying plants.. especially since some species have so many varieties. People here are really great at giving IDs with photos

If you are unable to get a photo, you could also try searching the web for philodendron, pothos, hanging plant, or go on a nursery website or Home Depot/Lowes to look at pictures of the plants they are selling--see if any of them match up. If you find a photo of your plant on the web but it doesn't say what species it is, you can post/link the photo here.

In absence of a photo, I'm not sure what Plant #1 is. (It's in a hanging pot--is it vine-like, just like your philodendron?)

Plant #2 sounds like a pothos (Epipremnum aureum) to me. (check this picture to confirm: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Epipremnum_aureum_vine.jpg

If Plant #2 is a pothos, it will be very easy to propagate, according to everyone I know, and what I've read. I've only had a philodendron though.

• Tuckamore
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks for the replies!

Your are right, the spotted one was Epipremnum aureum and on googling that one I found the other to be Epipremnum aureum "neon". The neon is a very large and healthy plant while the other is a 6' vine (was a 6" cutting)

Now, I one have one stem of the Epip. aureum...so i want to be 100% sure i can get a cutting to grow before I cut it lol.

Anyone have any experience with this plant?

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    11 years ago

Hi & welcome to Gardenweb! You might find the answers to your questions in this discussion. Does that help?

• Tuckamore
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks.

Are you referring to my other post? Philo help?

My plant is no where near that bad. Only slight yellowing on the tips of some leaves. Plant may have lost 6-10 leaves (its has hundreds). So its isnt too bad yet but Im trying to keep ahead of the problem. It normally has very dark green leaves and they seem to be a bit pale to me..

Thanks again!

• wndy_gardenweb
    11 years ago

Toni -- we posted at the exact same time! :-D

Tuck -- glad to hear you have an ID now.

Purple -- what a great link! and perfect for this thread. I like the idea of starting it in water for a little bit before "soil"

• wndy_gardenweb
    11 years ago

I think Purple posted the link because it dealt with how to propagate your pothos, since you were worried about taking cuttings since you only have a single plant :-)

• Tuckamore
    Original Author
    11 years ago

thats what I was wondering lol.

I know how but since its a single vine I'm afraid ill kill it lol

Just wondering if i should let it grow longer

I have also curled the plant on top of the soil and lightly buried it in a few places to see if it will root along the stem which may produce new shoots without taking cuttings? So far it seems to have taken hold in a couple different places. If i cut between those areas will i end up with two or more plants or are the areas it has taken hold simply anchors and not roots?

11 years ago

"so i want to be 100% sure i can get a cutting to grow before I cut it lol.

Anyone have any experience with this plant?"

Yes, that's what I was responding to. There are pics of cuttings there. As long as you don't cut all of the above-ground nodes from a vine, it will keep growing.

If you'd like to be more sure, find a section of vine with aerial root nodes like these and lay it across another pot of soil, use a paper clip or something to hold it gently against the surface of the soil.

11 years ago

Each node should take root. Each node that does take root should send a new vine tip. Cutting the tip can make the remaining stump more determined, might grow 2 or more new vine tips, depending on its' vigor, cultural conditions, and how long of a stump it is.

Two red circles are new growth tips. The blue circle is where it was cut.

• Tuckamore
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Excellent!!

Thank you!

Well the aerial roots on this plant have shot down into the soil several inches (i know because my cat accidentally pulled one up) but there is no new growth yet. Would cutting it speed up growth? or should i just be patient?

11 years ago

I might describe it more as forcing it to grow new tips. As long as the existing tip remains connected, there is little likelihood of new tips starting, IME. When the tip is cut, the plant has no other way TO grow but new tips. Leaving a few leaves if possible retains its' ability to photosynthesize, thus the new tips should grow faster.

A root that is a couple inches long is ready to take off and support quite a length of vine. I would be confident about its' ability to grow separated from the main roots. And congrats, btw, you've "ground layered" your plant.

It's your plant to do with as you wish. That's the fun part to me, learning & weighing the possibilities, considering then making that decision and seeing what happens. When you get 2 versions of the same plant going, you can branch out, pun intended, regarding experiments. One is dangling, one is given a trellis...

• birdsnblooms
    11 years ago

Wndy. I haven't been around much this winter, and didn't think to check your profile.

So Hello & Welcome. :)

When I first saw your screen name, Wndy, I assumed you lived in Chicago. As in Windy City. lol.

Purple, I should have checked the link you posted, 'here,' before commenting.

Is Tuckamore's plant a Pothos or Neon Philo? Not clear on that. Thanks, Toni

• Tuckamore
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Sounds good, Thanks! Looks like my plant is in for a trim.

I am more experienced in outdoor wild plants as I studied forestry and fish an wildlife in college which dealt alot with plants. Houseplants on the other hand are a different story lol, but i have about 40 houseplants and most of which I can ID but I still have a couple mystery ones.

The plant im trying cut and re-pot is a Epipremnum aureum but I was also trying to ID my Epipremnum aureum "neon" in the same thread.

11 years ago

Sweet, I love outdoor plants too, and at least eating fish. I love to sit with a pole but never catch much but mosquito bites.

• Tuckamore
    Original Author
    11 years ago

haha I hear that!

I fish a lot so I could give you more fishing tips than tips on house plant lol

• wndy_gardenweb
    11 years ago

You guys should try fishing out on the west coast... a lot fewer mosquitos! (at least in the sea..!).

Thanks for the welcome Toni :) My name comes from a bygone era, when AOL was an ISP, and they limited your screenname to 10 characters... so I had to remove some of the vowels, and Windy became Wndy. Only been to Chicago once, but it was windy!

10 years ago

Curious what's going on with your vine, Tuck?

• mrfancyplants444
    9 years ago

I just got this philodendron and I can't figure out the name of it. Can anyone help?

• asleep_in_the_garden
    9 years ago

Check it against a search for peperomia obtusifolia...just a hunch.

9 years ago

Agreed, Peperomia. There are a TON of diff species, and many cultivars of some of the species.