Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kuroc

large house plant for north facing window

kuroc
11 years ago

I just pick up a large pot that I left at the house when I moved into my apartment. My bedroom only has a north facing window. I have 9 plants that are doing well right now.

I need sugestions for a large house plant that I can get at a place like walmart, lowes, home depot, etc... that would do well in a north facing window.

I want to set the plant on the floor.

Comments (14)

• birdsnblooms
    11 years ago

Kuroc.. Are there nearby trees/buildings, and do you plan on hanging curtains/blinds?
    Will 'X' plant be placed directly in front of the window, or several feet away?

Almost, all plants need sun, but Dracaena 'Janet Craig' will surive in the lowest light.

Toni

• marguerite_gw Zone 9a
    11 years ago

Aspidistra, definitely!

• kuroc
    Original Author
    11 years ago

It will be a few feet from the window by the wall, there are blinds but I keep them pulled up during the day. The light in the room looks good enough for some plants.

I should also mention that I want the plant to have a tall growth habit.

Would a rubber tree plant work?

• birdsnblooms
    11 years ago

Hey Marguerite...

Kuroc.

In other words, 'X' plant will be adjacent your north window?

Yep, you mentioned you wanted an upright grower.

That's one reason I suggested D. 'Janet Craig.'
    Have you ever seen a Corn Plant? JC's grows upright, like CP.

Do you like Sansevierias?
    Sans, 'commonly known as Snake Plant and Mother-in-Laws-Tongue,' get tall and upright.

They're a bit slow-growing, but if you're interested, you might find tall specimens at Home Depot or Walmart under 20.00.

Ficus, Rubber Trees are sun-lovers, but if you can find an inexpensive tree, place directly in front of window, it might do okay.
    Then again, it could grow spindly and/or drop leaves.

Does the area get any artificial light? Toni

• Sugi_C (Las Vegas, NV)
    11 years ago

I'd definitely try a corn plant. It is readily available at Lowes and OSH, like Toni mentioned, but I have had trouble finding a nice one there that didn't look like it was dying, sick or special needs -- or in my case, too big, as I'm not wanting an enormous one right now. I did find a beautiful specimen at IKEA, but I had to go back to get the car that could bring it home -- and poof, it was gone. Given that I get to IKEA around once a year, I was enraged lol.

• Sugi_C (Las Vegas, NV)
    11 years ago

I'd definitely try a corn plant. It is readily available at Lowes and OSH, like Toni mentioned, but I have had trouble finding a nice one there that didn't look like it was dying, sick or special needs -- or in my case, too big, as I'm not wanting an enormous one right now. I did find a beautiful specimen at IKEA, but I had to go back to get the car that could bring it home -- and poof, it was gone. Given that I get to IKEA around once a year, I was enraged lol.

• larry_b
    11 years ago

Had you thought of a Palm plant?

Larry

• Will07
    11 years ago

Maybe a neanthe bella palm or spathaphylum? Maybe a pothos trained up a pole? Ficus benjamina might work although it will drop lots of leaves before it acclimatizes and should be right in the window. Also giant strelitzia or money tree right in the window as well.

• Brandon Smith
    11 years ago

I would second the ficus Benjamina and also not worry tooth about leaf droppage other than perhaps one time when you first get it.

I have one on top of a cabinet in my office with no windows to the outside. The closest window is 30' away but it's at a car dealership and its glass all the way around the perimeter.

• Leafhead
    11 years ago

How about a ZZ plant?

• Will07
    11 years ago

Thought of one more, Canela although they can be expensive for a 5" or so specimen.

• kuroc
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I might be able to get a good sized corn plant pup for free.

• kuroc
    Original Author
    11 years ago

she said I could have it!!!

• birdsnblooms
    11 years ago

Kuroc..there you go. A free 'Corn Plant.'

What size is the pup?
    Thought you were looking for a large plant?
    A CP pup will take years and years before it's 5' tall. lol.

I still say, D. Janet Craig. The pup of JC takes time, too but nowhere as long as a Corn Plant.

Toni

Sponsored
Frasure Home Improvements
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Franklin County's Highly Skilled General Contractor