Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
em4plants

Help! Need advice on Aloe Vera plants!

em4plants
11 years ago

Hello!
I am attempting to work on my green thumb (which is currently brown)... I have just acquired an older, large, aloe vera plant. I am excited to learn about it and what it needs to grow. :)

I have a couple of questions -- I would really like to train the plant to grow wider and more horizontally, rather than vertical. In fact, it is very vertical right now and is verging on toppling over!

I love the pictures I see with aloe plants that are in wide, shallow pots and are very full (and all the "leaves" are around the same height). Would I be able to take the "babies" from the larger plant and somehow train them to grow this way? How would I ensure that they all stay around the same height (i.e. avoiding one leaf growing incredibly tall).

Also, what should my plan of action be for the mother plant that is too tall to hold herself up?

I have read that they do not like wet soil. What is the best medium to use?

I need to apologize up front -- I am VERY new to aloe plants (maybe I should reword that to houseplants in general!) and the more detailed the explanation, the better!

Thank you all, in advance, for any advice and support!

Many thanks!!

Comments (4)