Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sjbaby

supprise plant

sjbaby
10 years ago

i love getting plants i dont know about, a friends mom moved and she gave her a plant , after almost killing it she gave it to me, so i nursed it back to health, as soon as it started to get better another plant pushed up through the soil, no idea what it is but it is nice looking and growing fast, they both are, it looks cool one grows low to the pot with medium size leaves, the other is tall with large arrow shape leaves and they have silver spots that are almost see through.

Comments (17)

• sradleye
    10 years ago

arrowhead vine? post pics!

• plantomaniac08
    10 years ago

The tall one with the silver spots almost sounds like a Calla Lily, but a picture of both plants will give us something to look at in order to properly ID your plants. Otherwise, it's a guessing game.

Planto

• sjbaby
    Original Author
    10 years ago

as soon as i can figure out how to post pics i will. the small one i have heard called prayer plant, kinda oval shape green and purple kinda stripe type markings, and the other is not arrow head vine i know that, it comes up as a spike that gets about 3 in tall then the leaf pushes up out of the spike and grows a long stem and the leaf opens to a very narrow arrow head shape with silver spots.there doesint seem to be a base or crown just a bunch of spikes growing up out of the soil.

• stewartsjon
    10 years ago

Prayer plant - if that's the one that has reappeared unexpectedly I bet it's Maranta Kerchoveana. That has a habit of dying completely and reappearing - like a perennial!

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:78507}}

• petrushka (7b)
    10 years ago

do spotted leaves look like that?
    if so it's calla albomaculata

• sjbaby
    Original Author
    10 years ago

it looks a lot like that but the top of the arrow isint so wide and sticking out, and the silver spots are bigger, and the base has no red just white, but it could be , mabe if its not getting enuf light

• sjbaby
    Original Author
    10 years ago

second leaf opened and it looks exactly like the one in the pic and the bases have gotten a little red, so now that i know what it is, can any one tell me any thing about it?

• sjbaby
    Original Author
    10 years ago

so is it a calla lily? will it bloom?

• sjbaby
    Original Author
    10 years ago

the one i called a prayer plant isint a true prayer plant it doesint open and close. i think i figured out how to post pics, i will post some soon.

• petrushka (7b)
    10 years ago

if it bloomed for your friend's mom, it should bloom for you - in about 2-3 weeks after leaves emerged. it depends on how good tubers were grown last year.
    usually it blooms 2-3 months after planting tubers.
    it needs 6 hours of sun indoors, likes to be cool: 55F night - 65F day. and do not let it dry up, good to put some mulch on top to keep the roots cool and moist. it needs to stay evenly moist. but until sev more leaves develop, water it lightly or you can rot the tuber. the tuber grows roots for a long time until you see the leaves emerge.
    prayer plants . see link for a combo of all possible leaf variegation. but the most common is like this.
    if your search this forum for maranta - you'll see lots of posts.

Here is a link that might be useful: various variegation

• sjbaby
    Original Author
    10 years ago

i will move it to better sun, thanks for the info. i dont know if it bloomed or not, i got a pot with one half dead leaf in it and no info on any thing so all of this is a suprise to me.

• sjbaby
    Original Author
    10 years ago

would digging up the albomaculata be a bad idea right now? i know it needs sun but i dont think the prayer plant would like direct sun, i am thinking of seperating them but i dont want to hurt or kill any one.

• petrushka (7b)
    10 years ago

oops, i kinda missed that they were together... prayer plant likes bright light, may be a little weak (late or early) sun an hour or so. but not more. may be the full grown lily was shading the prayer plant? it would work, but only when lily leaves are fully grown...
    i mean, they would not be together unless it works, right? was your friend's mom good with plants? can you ask?
    i suppose you can separate them, if careful. maranta is just barely waking up so it should not hurt ...yet ;). the calla lily is also just beginning to grow - but it might delay a bloom.
    anyways, you seem to have enough plants going, so you if know how to repot and do it carefully - it could be done.
    both like to be moist AND well draining. maranta is best in shallow pot ( ala hanging basket).
    you mentioned ...somewhere that you are an underwaterer - so you need to watch here - both can die if they dry out. both can rot when overwatered.
    what medium do you have for them for repotting?

• sjbaby
    Original Author
    10 years ago

they are in a mix i get from a local, bark and perilite( sorry cant spell) and some other stuff, it drains well, i think i know the spot to put it when it warms up out side. as far as my friends mom i didnt know her but the plants i got were on deaths door. nothing had more than a leaf or two on it. most have gome back some were to far gone. these two are just starting to come back. thanks for the info.

• sjbaby
    Original Author
    10 years ago

just starting to grow back from nothing

• sjbaby
    Original Author
    10 years ago

second leaf opening, i love new plant growth

• petrushka (7b)
    10 years ago

for both winter is the dormant season - callas are usually stored dry in pots, though not bone dry - there is always some root activity, so it's recommended to give them just a little sip once a mo.
    marantas also consume very little moisture in winter and they stop growing. but they still need some water and humidity: they loose leaves, if totally dried up. which is prolly what happened in your case. then they regrow in spring when it gets warmer and you start watering more.
    so...nothing drastic here i think, they both should be all right.
    your soil is good for both. maranta loves very high humidity, so outdoors hot and humid in very bright shade should be very good.
    you could for now shade the bottom half of the pot with some other plant in front, with callas going high and in the sun.

Sponsored
KA Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Industry Leading General Contractors in Columbus