Return to the House Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
dieffenbachia for a closed terrarium?

Posted by pieheart 6 (My Page) on
Sun, Mar 25, 12 at 14:16

I originally posted in the terrarium forum but realized it wasn't that active and I'd be more likely to find someone who can help here.

I have a closed terrarium (like a large glass cookie jar with lid) I'd like to use. Would a dieffenbachia be a good choice to put in it?

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: dieffenbachia for a closed terrarium?

I would put a fern.

o

Closed terrariums are good environments for humidity loving plants...like the fern purple mentioned, but there are many others. I built one many years ago that I still like to think back on; it had a Venus Fly Trap in it, as well as a couple of other things. Boy, did that VFT ever like it in there.

Of course, you can create an arid terrarium, too, and plant it with cacti, earth stars, etc.

As far as dieffenbachia goes, I know that there are table top sized varieties, but even they would outgrow the dimensions of the typical glass cookie jar terrarium (I have one). You don't want a plant that will be smushed up against the sides or top of the container.

What kind of dieffenbachia are you thinking about?

o

I honestly don't know the cultivar, it was gift. I have a cat who eats plants and thought a terrarium would be a safe place for this poisonous plant. I may have to re-gift it to a petless friend.

A venus fly trap is a good idea, though. What kind of light does it need? I have bright, indirect light.

o

Dieffenbachia CAN grow in terrarium conditions so if it fits in there now I think it's worth a try. You will probably have to prune it to keep it to a good size though.
If you decide to try to grow carnivorous plants, here is a helpful website: http://www.sarracenia.com/faq/faq2000.html

Here is a link that might be useful: Sarracenia.com

o

Thanks so much for the link, summersunshine! I have a lot of reading to do tonight.

o

I agree it's worth trying. I thought your goal was to find the best plant for your terrarium but keeping a treasured toxic plant away from a cat is a worthy endeavor.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the House Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here