Return to the House Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Is this a Dracaena?

Posted by cnoliver (My Page) on
Thu, Mar 20, 14 at 14:24

I found this in the dumpster at a condo and want to try and help it back to life. What should I do with the two stems on the left that appear very dead? I was thinking to cut off about a foot or so.

Thanks for any info

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Is this a Dracaena?

Yes, it looks like Dracaena 'Janet Craig'. Dracaena are sensitive to fluoride, so don't water with household tap water.

You can cut the stems and root the "logs". They take a lonnnnng time to root - have a lot of patience. The portions with leaves will root faster than the plain stems, but they will all root if given enough time. Be sure to note which end is up when taking the cuttings so you don't plant any sections upside down.

Dracaena have orange/yellow roots whereas cordyline have white roots.

Carol in Jacksonville

o

Thanks for the reply. I just looked up the various ways to propagate a Dracaena and will give it a try.

o

Thanks for the reply. I just looked up the various ways to propagate a Dracaena and will give it a try.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the House Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here