Return to the House Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Calathea

Posted by glenlivet12 none (My Page) on
Fri, Mar 9, 12 at 14:48

Hello,

I have a calathea and the edge of the leaves are starting to turn papery brown. New leaves are lighter than the existing leaves. I mist the plant everyday and have it on a plate with stones and water. I water the plant once the top of the soil gets a bit dry. Please help as I love this plant. Thank you in advance!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Calathea

• Posted by tapla z5b-6a mid-MI (My Page) on
    Fri, Mar 9, 12 at 16:42

Odds significantly favor either over-watering or a high level of soluble salts in the soil - or both, because they usually go hand-in-hand. Misting won't help that particular issue, but the humidity tray offers a very marginal improvement. The primary underlying cause is almost certainly poor root health/function, and it's probably exacerbated by low humidity if you heat in the winter. They also need warm temperatures, so if it's much under 65*, they might start tending to rebel.

It's hard to say exactly what's wrong, and the FIX almost surely lies in that soil choice/watering habits/level of salts in the soil triangle that is pretty inseparable unless you're using an appropriate soil.

If you want to talk soils - let me know & I'll link you to more info here @ GW.

Al

o
RE: Calathea

Totally agree. Am also worried this plant is not getting enough light although the entire problem could be the soil/water combo. Hard to know without more info. What way does the window nearest the plant face? How close is it to the window? Are there any heat vents blowing on it or near it?

If it makes you feel any better, this type of plant is one of those that have a much harder time inside a house than most. The environment is just so different from their requirements, and they are usually short-lived, even for many people who have and do well with many other plants.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the House Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here