Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
teengardener1888

The longevity Of Arabian Tea Jasmine

teengardener1888
11 years ago

I brought a arabian tea jasmine. It bloomed 3 weeks later and started to bloom. THE Fragrance was heavenly and It started to open. The next day i went to smell it, AND IT FELL OFF WHEN MY NOSE TOUCHED IT. It was well watered...........................

WHAT HAPPENED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comments (8)

• mrlike2u
    11 years ago

Usually a good time to not water as heavily is as flowering buds begin to open Flowering is the last stage of it's cycle
    Sure there will be the opposite said as well but did watering allow the flowers to open ?

• kemistry
    11 years ago

What you have is probably the cultivar 'Maid of Orleans'.. and yes its flowers only last a day. The flowers of 'Belle of India' will last about 2 days : )

• meyermike_1micha
    11 years ago

Hi Kemistry and Wes!!!

Nice to see you here:-)

Mike

• buyorsell888
    11 years ago

Correct, the flowers don't last long at all but they sure do smell good.

• auron22
    11 years ago

Teen, the next flower that opens up, i would make jasmine tea out of before it is spent :) Not sure if all cultivars of arabian tea jasmine are edible, i think so.lol
    This summer i will be posting pics of my plant in full bloom to confirm it's ID. I thought arabian tea jasmine, but i could be confusing it with a gardenia, like gardenia jasminoides. Wish the person that gave it to me 7 years ago knew....Anyway, i would love to see pics of yours!

• teengardener1888
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Sorry, I cant post yet. My cultivar is Maid of Oleans. It is not very vigourous, for amazon has not done a good job of shipping it safely. I have been nursing it along for three weeks and was surprized when it grew a bud. I am surprized that a fourteen year old like me can keep a jasmine alive. I am hoping to keep it alive and have many flowers at once. Tips tp grow this plant are appreciated

Thank you, This plant means alot to me

• roseyd
    11 years ago

best tip for jasmine and gardenia too - is Sun. You get that plant near your sunniest window and keep her happy.

Sing to her. feed and water her regularly. And if you have an outdoor spot - come summer - put her outside to soak in the rays. She'll love you for that.

I like to spray the leaves of my indoor plants, a few times a week. Especially with the heat still on - it helps to keep the leaves from drying out. (I consider it 'moisturizing' my plants).

• ziyakr
    11 years ago

I was just considering this plant, have been wanting a jasmine for a long time. So, doing my research always includes reading these forums and so far everything sounds good...then I see a terrifying word "gardenia". Had multiple horrible experiences trying to keep 3 different varieties of gardenia alive for my sister, finally had to ban it from the house rather than deal with the sadness of watching anymore of them die.

Auron, are you saying this plant is like a gardenia? Anyone know if it can go outside for the summer? I have lots of good south and west sun indoors but find that most of the houseplants like to be outside part of the year.

Teengardener, good luck! Wish I'd discovered plants 25 years ago when I was your age!

Sponsored
Creating Thoughtful, Livable Spaces For You in Franklin County