Return to the House Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Need philodendron advice

Posted by gardenfanatic MO zone5b (My Page) on
Sun, Mar 16, 14 at 14:56

I got a couple philodendrons yesterday, and have never grown them before. I'm good at growing plants in my outdoor gardens, but not the greatest at houseplants except for spider plants, which are easy.

One of them is a Prince of Orange, and the other one was marked Prince of Orange as well, but I don't think it is because the leaves are rounder and a darker green, with newer leaves being a burgundy rather than orange.

They both need to be repotted, as they're in tiny pots. What type of soil mix should I use, how often and how much should I water, what kind of lighting do they like, and how much fertilizer do they like?

Thanks for your help!

Deanna

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Need philodendron advice

I think if you search the FAQs you may find your answers. But I will say the like humidity, Bright but not direct sunlight, and the dont like to drown but they also dont like to dry out. I would use regular repotting mix and but them in a inch arger pot than they are in now..

o

I don't see a FAQ's section for this forum.

D

o

Those sound very pretty! Like any plant in a pot, your Philos would appreciate a chunky, porous soil that can be moist yet still have some air in it. Water often enough that it doesn't wilt, which will probably vary depending on temps, seasons, which can speed/slow growth.

Agreed, the kind you describe sound like they wouldn't appreciate direct sunlight, Philos generally burn easily. Fertilize very weakly when actively growing. The size of the pot should be big enough that the plant isn't top-heavy, not in danger of tipping/blowing over easily, with enough room for roots to roam for a while.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the House Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here