Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hellopandanf

Any ways to control scale?

HelloPandaNF
12 years ago

I have a "star jasmine" that I acquired about a year ago. Like my usual self I didn't really check for bugs, because...I'm just pretty darn lazy! Lol

Well as it turns out, a few weeks later it started dying, and I saw what I thought were mites. Since then I tried spraying with alcohol, soapy water, and even cut all the green leaves off just to stop the "mites". Well the last method revealed that these weren't some unidentified mite, but scale bugs! The jasmine has grown a little more now, and seemed fine...until it started flowering. I was so happy to see that the bug was finally gone (or so I thought), and then I saw some water droplets that were really sticky. This made me suspicious, and sure enough THE SCALE IS STILL THERE! The plant still seems o.k., but there are new little dots every day. The plant is about four feet tall, next to an oleander which I think is being infected as well! Is there any way I can stop this with household items, or should I look for insecticides? It's an indoor plant, since I'm in zone 5...

Sorry for the lengthy post, and thanks in advance!

Comments (16)

• tapla (mid-Michigan, USDA z5b-6a)
    12 years ago

Horticultural (hort) oils are purposely formulated to efficiently smother most stubborn pests, including scale, and are very effective as well as safe. You can find hort oils at most big box stores and most nurseries. Look for hort oil that says 'summer', 'perfect', or 'all-season' on the label. Mix according to directions and apply with a tank sprayer or spritzer, making sure to cover the plant completely, including all the leaf/branch crotches and underside of foliage. It should knock the scale right out.

Al

• HelloPandaNF
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Wow, I never realized how awkward that sounds. Hello hello! Lol

Anyways, thank you! I would have never dreamed of using any fish product for killing bugs. I really don't know about the smell, though. Hopefully three days of rotting fish will be worth it!

Of course, the oils sound pretty safe as backup, maybe I'll find time to look for some...

Thanks again!

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    12 years ago

Panda, the reason that the fish oil may work is BECAUSE of the oil. It is an oil emulsion. You can get the same effect, maybe better, by using a a horticultural oil such as Al mentions. These oils are organically sound, highly effective against scale insects (and others) and....they don't stink.

Personally, I wouldn't use the oil as your back up but as your 'go to' product. Horticultural oils are readily available in any garden center or gardening section of your favorite big box store. They've been in use for generations.

• HelloPandaNF
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Ok, thanks. I was wondering why fish would kill bugs...

They have kind of disappeared now, I have no idea why. I'll use those oils, though!

• elichka
    11 years ago

Toni,

I have some scale on couple Haworthia and Aloe. Do you think its safe to use FE. Also, do you use some particular brand? Do you dilute or use straight?
    Thanks a lot
    Inna

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    11 years ago

Inna, that's the problem with using a product for an un-labeled use. You'll have to rely totally on the personal experience of a few folks who have used the fish oil on the plants you've mentioned. The dilution rate and brand name will change from person to person. I know that Toni always says to use one capful per I forget how much liquid. I'd expect that the cap size might vary from manufacturer to manufacturer. And some FEs are pre-mixed. Kinda scary, if you ask me. lol

Go back and email Toni directly (via her 'my page' email address). She will be very happy to help you if FE is the route you wish to take.

• Johnsp
    11 years ago

With horticultural oils just be aware that some plants are sensitive to them and will damage the foliage. These are petrochemical oils not plant based oils. I've learned this from experience. I've got a scale problem now on some of my Phalaenopsis so I'm going to try the fish emulsion.

Scott

• birdsnblooms
    11 years ago

Inna, sorry, I didn't see your question.

FE is organic, (no-chemicals)and safe for all plants.

I use 1 capful FE per 16-20 oz water, in a spray bottle. Shake well, then spray upper and lower foliage.

I also fertilize succulents with Fish Emulsion via soil.

Rhizo is correct about FE working because of the oil.
    However, the reason I prfer FE to insecticidal oil is because it fertilizes 'foliar' while it prevents/kills insects.

It's just a matter of preference.

I hope everyone rids Scale..they're fast workers and attract ants. Ants and Scale work as a team, lol.
    Toni

• elichka
    11 years ago

Toni,

Thanks, i will go to HD first thing in the morning

Inna

• Baby G (USDA:10a, Sunset:21&23 SoCal-NE. Mt Washington, Lo-Chill: 200-400 Hrs, So
    9 years ago

I bought a large Jasmine at a yard sale and set it down next to a wall of jasmine at my house. Three days later, guess what I noticed?? Little beige sesame seeds sticking to the leaves and milky white stuff underneath...Scale!
    I'm going to use Toni's fish oil trick.

Do you all think I need to spray my citrus trees and pit fruit trees preventatively? I have about two dozen potted trees waiting to go in the ground. Yikes!

• Kourken
    9 years ago

I have a purple hibiscus bush that had a huge growth spurt this summer. It is planted in the ground. The last few weeks the scale have progressively taken it over and of course an army of ants also came, protecting the scale from its natural predators.

I tried Neem oil for the last two weeks, applying it 2-3 a week. It seemed to control it a little but the ants got worse and so did the scale eventually.

So I took your advice Toni and tried the FE. Bam!! Gone in 2 applications, at least so far, crossing my fingers. The first time I applied it, the scale were crawling out from under the mulch, running for their lives! They really do not like this stuff. And to make the ants go away, I sprinkled cinnamon at the base of the plant and also on the stems that had been hit worst by the scale. After two days, I only see a few ants here and there.

Just wanted to share in case your plant is outdoors and also vouch for the excellent advice about the fish emulsion. The stuff really works!

• Kourken
    9 years ago

I have a purple hibiscus bush that had a huge growth spurt this summer. It is planted in the ground. The last few weeks the scale have progressively taken it over and of course an army of ants also came, protecting the scale from its natural predators.

I tried Neem oil for the last two weeks, applying it 2-3 a week. It seemed to control it a little but the ants got worse and so did the scale eventually.

So I took your advice Toni and tried the FE. Bam!! Gone in 2 applications, at least so far, crossing my fingers. The first time I applied it, the scale were crawling out from under the mulch, running for their lives! They really do not like this stuff. And to make the ants go away, I sprinkled cinnamon at the base of the plant and also on the stems that had been hit worst by the scale. After two days, I only see a few ants here and there.

Just wanted to share in case your plant is outdoors and also vouch for the excellent advice about the fish emulsion. The stuff really works!

• Lodewijkp
    9 years ago

Scale is the most anoying pest there is... at least mites you can control , scale will come back and their coating prevents most stuff from killing them.

GET RID of all the SOIL , just get bare roots and soak those ( along with as much of vine if you can ) in a bucket with water ( with or without pesticides ) for 24 hours.

Also keep it dry, water sparingly

Scale keeps coming back from eggs that are in the soil and they sure like wet conditions.

• Abid Raza Toronto Canada
    8 years ago

I saw horticultural oil on Lowe's website and it was saying for outdoor use. it means it is not for indoor and perhaps can be harmful too if used indoor.

• tapla (mid-Michigan, USDA z5b-6a)
    8 years ago

Oils that are identified as 'light', 'all-season', or 'perfect', can be used on almost all plants in leaf (but you should do a test first), but houseplants should be sprayed outdoors, then brought back indoors after spraying. .... tough to use where winters are cold.

Al

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH