Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nycab

Need advice on my Ficus Lyrata (Fiddle leaf bush)

nycab
10 years ago

Hi,
I looked at all the messages on this board about this plant. I bought this plan in late October of last year from a Garden Center. It was doing fine until we went on vacation in late Nov. (it didn't receive much light and needed water).

Most of the leaves turned yellow and fell off until it was down to 6 leaves (3 on each stalk). Well one of the stalks lost all the leaves and dried up. I cut that one all the way to the soil and put the plant in better light and have watered it and started to give it a bit of fertilizer that was recommended by Al (thanks). My husband said to throw it out since it was so sad looking. I said I would wait until Spring and see.

I couldn't believe it but I noticed in the last couple of weeks, buds have popped up on the bottom 1/3 of the stalk (about 4 and a leaf has sprouted). This plant definitely needs some root pruning and new soil (but I am holding off until it's warmer here in NJ. Should I cut down the upper stalk to encourage growth throughout or wait until those buds produce bigger leaves? Any advice appreciated. I have attached photos.

Comments (3)

Sponsored
Hoppy Design & Build
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Northern VA Award-Winning Deck ,Patio, & Landscape Design Build Firm