Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lizzieroux

what is this plant??

Bev Cashen
10 years ago

It is so beautiful and it grows very fast!
Has these shoots that come out all around the plant from the stalk (?) It get's roots fast in water.
Any help with ID is apprecieted.
THX! :)

Comments (48)

• pirate_girl
    10 years ago

Guessing it's a Callisia fragrans.

• teengardener1888
    10 years ago

Purpleinopp would know, it is probally in the spiderwort family....Callisia fragrans is my guess/choice

• teengardener1888
    10 years ago

Sorry Pirate we posted in a 1 minute difference.

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    10 years ago

Wow, didn't know that plant could get this big, if that's what it is, Callisia fragrans. The size makes me hesitate to say so for sure. Is it several feet tall? Does it have tiny white fragrant blooms at the top of the stalk things?

• Bev Cashen
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you for the responses.
    The plant in already over 2 feet tall and it is still growing.
    I have not seen any flowers on the plant, but maybe they will cme on the two long shoots that sprung up just a couple of days ago.
    I will google the callisia fragrans.

thanks again !

10 years ago

Cool! Hope you'll be able to add a pic of the flower things (assuming we're on the right track.) Do sniff them too, I think they smell heavenly.

• Bev Cashen
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Almost ready to burst open with flowers!

Can't w ait to smell them!

I have given about 4 of these cuttings, and already one person called to say they have a new plant growing!

It grows over night~

:)

9 years ago

I just want to sit there!

• emerald1951
    9 years ago

Hi...what a great plant...
    can't wait to see the flowers....
    is it possible to trade cuttings, are you looking for something, maybe I have it and we could do a trade...linda

• Bev Cashen
    Original Author
    9 years ago

No problem with sending some plant-letts! Just tell me how to do it so they are fresh & alive when you get them :)

9 years ago

I've mailed chunks of this plant to several people with great results. Due to its' succulent nature, it can survive for many days out of soil and/or water. Wrap pieces loosely in newspaper, stolons/runners are the easiest I think since there's no dirt/roots to worry about. The red circles show where the roots are ready to form - as said above - as soon as they hit a pot'o'dirt. Though I don't put it in the soil, I usually leave the long part attached, just so there's more moisture from that for the plantlet to draw on until it forms its' new roots. Once you see roots have formed, that can be removed.

Within continental US, a box should only take 2 days via postal service. A flirt with near-frost won't bother this plant, but you'd want to make sure it's well above freezing at both ends to make sure it goes well (Z4 - yikes!)

• emerald1951
    9 years ago

Hi..I would love a start of this plant..I sent you a e-mail..
    linda

9 years ago

Caught the flowers open this morning on mine. The tags won't stay under that rug, but it says not to remove...

• Bev Cashen
    Original Author
    9 years ago

purpleinopp,
    How does your plants stay so green?
    I would love to try some and keep them green, although I love the colors. Do you think it is the amount of sun/shade?
    The flowers are beautiful on your plants. I am posting my progress thus far. Mine have not opened all the way.
    Thx

• Bev Cashen
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Love the colors!

• Bev Cashen
    Original Author
    9 years ago

The flowers keep shooting up!

• Bev Cashen
    Original Author
    9 years ago

• Bev Cashen
    Original Author
    9 years ago

• Bev Cashen
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Flowers up close

• plantomaniac08
    9 years ago

Purple, finally a picture! They behaved long enough lol. Eh, I cut tags off all the time.

Planto

• emerald1951
    9 years ago

Hi all....Lizzynola was so kind to send me a few plantlets..
    and here is a picture of them, happy and growing...
    thank you again....linda

9 years ago

Hey this is cool! Didn't notice the pics of the bloom stalks when originally posted. And love to hear about a gift that traveled well!

Looks great - to both!!

Have you caught the flowers open for some sniffing, Lizzy?

When in more sun, the purple colors show up. After being in the house all winter, mine had gone completely green. Here's a pic from a few days ago. After being outside for a few weeks, it's getting some purple again.

• Bev Cashen
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Purpleinopp,

Those plant look really beautiful.
    I will try some in a more shaded area and even in the house..
    Again, everyone who sees them wants a cutting. :)
    Thx

• Bev Cashen
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Linda,

I am amazed at how well they look!

Healthy & green, so they must have loved the travel and final destination LOL!

Be prepared to give away cuttings (you will have plenty) because everyone will want them.

Good luck~
    Lizzy

• Bev Cashen
    Original Author
    9 years ago

HELP!!!
    Does anyone know what the name of this plant is?
    Succulent or Cactus?
    Went outside this am and there it was in this tiny silver plant holder.
    Thanks for any ID help

• asleep_in_the_garden
    9 years ago

Epiphyllum of some sort. :)

• Bev Cashen
    Original Author
    9 years ago

THANKS!!! (asleep In The Garded)
    You are right, it is commonly called Orchid Cactus.
    Someone from another group gave me the info.
    Can't believe this has been growing in a lil pot all this year, and I never gave it much thought. It actually flowers.
    Now, I will re-pot it into a larger pot, but not oo large because they say it loves to be crowded.
    Thanks again for your response :)

9 years ago

Yes, the flowers are mostly why people are so interested in these strange looking plants. It doesn't like to be crowded, though such a condition may help prevent these plants from root rot when in the confines of a pot.

Growing in nature like the holiday cactus pictured below, Epiphyllums are epiphytic plants from rainforest jungle. They need tons of moisture *and* air around their roots. Roots need oxygen and moisture at the same time to function, and some plants, like epiphytes, have roots that rot even more easily if there is moisture but not oxygen. This kind of rotting is called overwatering.

The texture/small particle size of most stuff called potting soil can easily become airless, as it compacts, decomposes into smaller bits, and roots fill the tiny spaces where air used to be. If the soil is fluffy/chunky/airy/porous, and excess water can escape through a drain hole, pot size is irrelevant. You can help plants out by adding a significant amount of perlite to potting soil, using cactus soil, and possibly adding a little more perlite to that too, they're not all the same.

• asleep_in_the_garden
    9 years ago

LOL No problem Lizzy!

Happy to have helped. :)

...and ditto what Purp said!

• Bev Cashen
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks Purpleinopp!!!

I am re-potting it today.
    Can't wait to see what it does in a larger pot. I also have cactus potting soil , and will take your advice.
    I will post photos as it grows/flowers.
    I love the mystery! :)
    THANKS again folks!
    I

9 years ago

Miss Lizzy, time for show'n'tell, and to extend more admiration for your growing of this plant in a pot. This discussion inspired me to put some of this plant in the ground for summer, and WOW, they do get so much bigger when they're really happy - as yours obviously are.

I didn't mean to pull this piece out of the ground yet while harvesting more reasonably-sized pieces to share with others for postage reimbursement, but ended up with it in my hand anyway. I can't wait to see the bloom on this big mama in a few months!

Thank you,
    Tiffany

9 years ago

For kicks, something different this winter, I put my main mass of this on a trellis for now...

9 years ago

Noticed the 1st bloom stalk of the season forming.

• Bev Cashen
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hello folks!

Long time since I posted, but wanted to show the plant's progress Lol. Yes, it is time for show & tell :)
    I planted these about 5 months ago, and they now cascade over the wall. I love them!

• Bev Cashen
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Here is the plant this year 2015.
    I have given about 25 cutting from this mother plant, and everyone sends word that their plants are doing well and growing fast. :)
    purpleinopp, thank you for the trellis suggestion. I have some growing on an east wall and I will use a trellis. I think they will look beautiful!
    I am posting another plant that is beautiful with strong, thick leaves. It is now in bloom (see photo), and I still have no idea what it is.
    Happy New Year everyone! 2015

• Bev Cashen
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Closeup of new plantlets! The deep purple is really pretty.

• Bev Cashen
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Have no clue!
    Thought it may be succulent but can find no photos of it.
    It has now sprouted lil bell like things. Can't wait to see what it does next.
    Anyone have a clue?/
    Thx

9 years ago

Lizzy, your Callisia plants look fantastic! Love the cascading over the wall part! Tons of bloom stalks are in the last new pic of it. TY for the awesome update!

The other plant looks like a Kalanchoe, maybe K. porlifica? I'm glad it has a security system. You wouldn't want anyone getting any nefarious ideas about your pretty plant! :+)
    - Tiffany

9 years ago

Over the past month, the one flower stalk (so far) has grown a lot.

Lizzy, I see you have a new name since the change. Hope u & your plants r doing well!

• Bev Cashen
    Original Author
    9 years ago

LOL!@ purpleinopp! Actually, I had been GW for so many years with one name and Houzz for years with another, so when the merge came! LOL! LOL! I think I will change it :)

9 years ago

So, does that mean you've been healed of a schizophrenia? Either way, heythere!

• Bev Cashen
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Looks good! Pretty

8 years ago

TY! I like the trellis thing so much, I didn't put the main root ball in the ground for summer. I'm going to leave it like that, without disturbing except to take some cuttings, for a few yrs. I have taken a few cuttings to run wild in the ground for a few months.

Next time you take a pic of yours, pls share!

• Linda Bridges
    8 years ago

Many years ago I went to a greenhouse & saw this plant! I was fascinated by it. The owner told me it was a Captains Pipe Plant. Each new little plant forms like a smoking pipe. They are fun to grow but I have lost mine to a freeze. Enjoy it. You can just cut it back & it will just keep on growing.

• John
    8 years ago

Hello. Does anyone know of a nursery that sells these? Or if I could buy a cutting? Thanks

8 years ago

Probably need to visit a diff site. Without private messaging here anymore, there's no way to communicate about things that aren't supposed to be posted in these forums.