Return to the House Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
what is this plant??

Posted by lizzynola So.cal zone 10 (msbjcashen@aol.com) on
Mon, Mar 17, 14 at 15:08

It is so beautiful and it grows very fast!
Has these shoots that come out all around the plant from the stalk (?) It get's roots fast in water.
Any help with ID is apprecieted.
THX! :)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: what is this plant??

Guessing it's a Callisia fragrans.

o

Purpleinopp would know, it is probally in the spiderwort family....Callisia fragrans is my guess/choice

o

Sorry Pirate we posted in a 1 minute difference.

o

Wow, didn't know that plant could get this big, if that's what it is, Callisia fragrans. The size makes me hesitate to say so for sure. Is it several feet tall? Does it have tiny white fragrant blooms at the top of the stalk things?

o

Thank you for the responses.
The plant in already over 2 feet tall and it is still growing.
I have not seen any flowers on the plant, but maybe they will cme on the two long shoots that sprung up just a couple of days ago.
I will google the callisia fragrans.

thanks again !

o

Cool! Hope you'll be able to add a pic of the flower things (assuming we're on the right track.) Do sniff them too, I think they smell heavenly.

o

Almost ready to burst open with flowers!

Can't w ait to smell them!

I have given about 4 of these cuttings, and already one person called to say they have a new plant growing!

It grows over night~

:)

o

I just want to sit there!

o

Hi...what a great plant...
can't wait to see the flowers....
is it possible to trade cuttings, are you looking for something, maybe I have it and we could do a trade...linda

o

No problem with sending some plant-letts! Just tell me how to do it so they are fresh & alive when you get them :)

o

I've mailed chunks of this plant to several people with great results. Due to its' succulent nature, it can survive for many days out of soil and/or water. Wrap pieces loosely in newspaper, stolons/runners are the easiest I think since there's no dirt/roots to worry about. The red circles show where the roots are ready to form - as said above - as soon as they hit a pot'o'dirt. Though I don't put it in the soil, I usually leave the long part attached, just so there's more moisture from that for the plantlet to draw on until it forms its' new roots. Once you see roots have formed, that can be removed.

Within continental US, a box should only take 2 days via postal service. A flirt with near-frost won't bother this plant, but you'd want to make sure it's well above freezing at both ends to make sure it goes well (Z4 - yikes!)

o

Hi..I would love a start of this plant..I sent you a e-mail..
linda

o

Caught the flowers open this morning on mine. The tags won't stay under that rug, but it says not to remove...

o

purpleinopp,
How does your plants stay so green?
I would love to try some and keep them green, although I love the colors. Do you think it is the amount of sun/shade?
The flowers are beautiful on your plants. I am posting my progress thus far. Mine have not opened all the way.
Thx

o

Love the colors!

o

The flowers keep shooting up!

o

o

o

Flowers up close

o

Purple, finally a picture! They behaved long enough lol. Eh, I cut tags off all the time.

Planto

o

Hi all....Lizzynola was so kind to send me a few plantlets..
and here is a picture of them, happy and growing...
thank you again....linda

o

Hey this is cool! Didn't notice the pics of the bloom stalks when originally posted. And love to hear about a gift that traveled well!

Looks great - to both!!

Have you caught the flowers open for some sniffing, Lizzy?

When in more sun, the purple colors show up. After being in the house all winter, mine had gone completely green. Here's a pic from a few days ago. After being outside for a few weeks, it's getting some purple again.

o

Purpleinopp,

Those plant look really beautiful.
I will try some in a more shaded area and even in the house..
Again, everyone who sees them wants a cutting. :)
Thx

o

Linda,

I am amazed at how well they look!

Healthy & green, so they must have loved the travel and final destination LOL!

Be prepared to give away cuttings (you will have plenty) because everyone will want them.

Good luck~
Lizzy

o

HELP!!!
Does anyone know what the name of this plant is?
Succulent or Cactus?
Went outside this am and there it was in this tiny silver plant holder.
Thanks for any ID help

o

Epiphyllum of some sort. :)

o

THANKS!!! (asleep In The Garded)
You are right, it is commonly called Orchid Cactus.
Someone from another group gave me the info.
Can't believe this has been growing in a lil pot all this year, and I never gave it much thought. It actually flowers.
Now, I will re-pot it into a larger pot, but not oo large because they say it loves to be crowded.
Thanks again for your response :)

o

Yes, the flowers are mostly why people are so interested in these strange looking plants. It doesn't like to be crowded, though such a condition may help prevent these plants from root rot when in the confines of a pot.

Growing in nature like the holiday cactus pictured below, Epiphyllums are epiphytic plants from rainforest jungle. They need tons of moisture *and* air around their roots. Roots need oxygen and moisture at the same time to function, and some plants, like epiphytes, have roots that rot even more easily if there is moisture but not oxygen. This kind of rotting is called overwatering.

The texture/small particle size of most stuff called potting soil can easily become airless, as it compacts, decomposes into smaller bits, and roots fill the tiny spaces where air used to be. If the soil is fluffy/chunky/airy/porous, and excess water can escape through a drain hole, pot size is irrelevant. You can help plants out by adding a significant amount of perlite to potting soil, using cactus soil, and possibly adding a little more perlite to that too, they're not all the same.

o

LOL No problem Lizzy!

Happy to have helped. :)

...and ditto what Purp said!

o

LOL!!

o

Thanks Purpleinopp!!!

I am re-potting it today.
Can't wait to see what it does in a larger pot. I also have cactus potting soil , and will take your advice.
I will post photos as it grows/flowers.
I love the mystery! :)
THANKS again folks!
I

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the House Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here