Return to the House Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Plants that look like plastic

Posted by bedtime none (My Page) on
Tue, Mar 12, 13 at 15:27

I had this idea to post our plants that look like they are made of plastic. I thought of this after cleaning my plants with a damp cloth and seeing, "Wow, that kinda looks like plastic..."

If anyone would like to post their plastic looking plants feel free to join. :)

Ficus elastica burgundy:

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Plants that look like plastic

This one is not even clean, but still looks plasticy to me:

Schefflera amate,

o

Aloe hemmingii...

o

This Sans has gotten a lot darker, this pic is from November.

o

This little Senecio doesn't look or feel like a "real" plant.

o

Purple, I like your sans, which one is it?

o

Thanks, S_K. It's Moonshine, a "plant of steel" from Costas Farms, got at WM. The blurb about it is embarrassingly inadequate, IMO, and the care instructions downright scary. This weekend it should be released from its' peaty bonds, given its' first huge gulp since November, and into morning sun.

o

Hey Purple,

'Its first huge gulp since Nov'. or its first drink since Nov? Either way, I wouldn't give it huge anything, these can also rot fast & it's not always apparent when they do, 'til way too late (wondering how I might know that???). ;>)

o

Hey, PG, thanks! That Sans has had a couple small sips, but in that peat, I haven't given it a good soaking since I got it. This is the one from the Sans forum that took FOREVER to dry out when I got it. Finally tomorrow all of the plants are going outside, assuming I have time to move all of them. They're all champing at the bit to get out there, get repotted, get a good soaking. For some reason, it's still not going to be very warm during the next 10 days, but it's the cold nights that have kept plants inside so long this year.

Seems like it's very shiny leaves that can look plastic and this time of year most of my plants are quite dusty. This new Portulacaria afra is sporting some shine...

Here is a link that might be useful: Flipping the switch!

o

Tip of an Aloe glauca I once had
Aloe

Aloe

o

ill SEE IF I CAN GET A BETTER PHOTO. HERE IS MY JADE

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the House Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here