Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
plantsaremylife_grow

I'm new here

Hello everyone! I'm new to having an account but not new to visiting this awesome site. I probably come to this site once or twice a day; I'm that into it. Anyway, I am looking for some newer and more exotic plants to have as houseplants and wonder if anyone has recently had any success with any of these?

Tacca (tried many, many, many times and not giving up; although very, very unsuccessful)

Eucharis grandiflora

Jatropha podagrica

Parochetus communis "Blue Oxalis"

Hydnophytum formicarium "Ant Plant"

Nematanthus corticola

Anthurium 'Superbum'

These are just some of the many plants on my long wish list for this coming season. If anyone can help with tips, warnings, I would greatly appreciate any helpful response...Kyle

Comments (7)

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    14 years ago

Welcome, Kyle! I hope that this is the beginning of a long and fruitful experience in the Gardenweb!

You've listed a bunch of plants that I would ordinarily think of as greenhouse plants. Do you have a special environment that will enable you to have lots of light and humidity?

• plantsaremylife_grow
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks for the welcome rhizo_1! The best thing I have are some big south windows. I don't provide any sort of extra humidity for any of my existing plants. I somehow manage quite well with Medinilla magnifica, maidenhair ferns(not in the south windows) and other plants that tend to need extra added humidity though. Foliage wise these plants do well given no extra humidity in my south windows. I have other plants like several hoya, palms, monstera, anthuriums and the like in these south windows all flourishing. I've never really even thought my house had good humidity, especially for anthuriums and a medinilla magnifica! They all made it through the winter though in good condition.
    Anyway, I thought some of the plants in the original post might be fun to try in my home as exotic and oddities! If they don't make good house plants though and are more greenhouse plants, I think they will still make fun and interesting plants outside for the summer!!!Kyle

• mr_subjunctive
    14 years ago

I haven't gotten them to bloom, and they're not my most flexible and easygoing plants, but I've got a couple Eucharis grandifloras, one of which has been with me for about fourteen months. So "success" in some senses, but not in others. No warnings in particular, though they aren't crazy about getting too wet or too dry.

I don't know about Anthurium 'Superbum' specifically, but I have a couple large foliage Anthuriums (one sold to me as A. hookeri, but it's not A. hookeri; the other is A. podophyllum), and they don't seem to be appreciably more trouble than the regular flowering Anthurium andreanum cultivars so far. "Hookeri" grows huge, thin, floppy leaves when it's not getting enough light.

• larry_b
    14 years ago

Hello Kyle,

First, welcome to the forum.

I don't know much about the other plants on your list, but I have grown Nematanthus 'Tropicana'. The blooms on N. corticola are quite a bit different. I'm not sure how much different the plant is in its environmental likes. Nematanthus is in the gesneriad family. It is an epiphyte , which is a plant that grows on trees. It grows in the little crook of the tree where the branch meets the trunk. Little bits of organic material collect there and the plant will sprout in that environment. Nematanthuis likes fairly porous soil. I would use something like an African violet soil and add perlite, so that you have a 1 to 1 mixture of the two.

Nematanthus likes to get dry in between waterings. They have fairly waxy leaves and are considered by some to be practically a succulent. When I say dry in between I don't mean for days on end. Just so that the soil does dry out. One can feed it with a weak solution of African Violet Food.

The southern window will work just fine for Nematanthus. They like it to be a little brighter than an African violet if you know what that is. I'm pretty sure that it can take full sun even at noon, but I would slowly introduce it to full noon time sun. If anybody else knows more about this then please chime in. I haven't had one of these plants for years and mine was in a west window.

I hope this helps,

Larry

• plantsaremylife_grow
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thank you to those who replied! This gives me some hope to go ahead and try some of these exquisite plants!!!Kyle

• meyermike_1micha
    14 years ago

Welcome aboard plantsaremylife!

You can't go wrong from all the kind hearted people here so willing to see you succeed..

Mike..:-)

• thomaslatfield
    14 years ago

I would also like to welcome you here. I am new here to but let me tell you there is sooo much info her on gardening that it will make your head spin. Nematanthus plants do dry up fast from my experience. I try to water it more then the average plant.

Here is a link that might be useful: get your ex girlfriend back