Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
stokesjl

Rooting Song of India Cutting

stokesjl
16 years ago

Hey All:

A friend on another forum is sending me a Song of India (pleomele) cutting once the warmer weather hits. Anyone have any experience rooting these? Do I treat it like most dracaenas?

This is a pretty common plant and I could just buy one easily, but my local garden centers don't seem to have very healty looking specimens.

Thanks!

Comments (4)

• epipren
    16 years ago

I'm interested in responses as well. I have a small plant that has three canes. If I cut the top off one, will more grow out the sides like yuccas and dumb canes do?

• philjarrah
    15 years ago

Just seen this query. As you say it's a common plant, because it's easy to grow. Though you would not believe that when you see the prices being charged. You have probably already suceeded. If not remove most of the leaves except the top 2 - 3, if they are very large cut them in half, dip the end of the stem in some hormone powder and plant half of the stem in very free draining compost with a good sharp sand and perlite mix. Make the hole in the DAMP compost with a pencil/biro etc. That stops the hormone powder from being removed and also protects the end of the stem. I find that popping the whole lot into a large clear plastic bag with some holes punched in the top and 4 thin bamboo canes or old wire coat hangers to keep the plastic bag off the leaves or other parts of the plant. Hold the top together with a rubber band. You have a mini humid green house. Don't let the compost dry out but it must not be soggy and has no standing water. Keep it in a bright warm location but not in direct sun light. Be patient and watch out for new leaves. Signs of growth above normally goes with new roots. Once you have positive leaf growth undo the plastic bag at the top keep the sides up and let the plant adjust keeping it in the same location. After a week or so remove the plastic bag. Put the pot on a try with some gravel under the pot and add some water to create a little humidity. Don't let the pot itself stand in water. Give the plant a weak liquid feed once a week and enjoy.
    I've used this system with a number of different plants, but don't use it on Cacti, I believe they would suffer in the humid conditions of the plastic bag.
    Remember if you don't suceed try and try again - thats plants.

• watergal
    15 years ago

Yep, just as easy as any other dracaena. philjarrah just gave you excellent directions.

If you cut off the top, you will get a shoot off to the side. Usually only one shoot, occasionally more.

• wanna_run_faster
    15 years ago

I just stick the cuttings in a glass jar of water on the patio...and within a month the roots are circling around the jar! And yes, the remaining stalk will send more shoots out.