Return to the House Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
ID Help

Posted by sarah1210 none (My Page) on
Fri, Mar 22, 13 at 15:49

Hello, I'm trying to identify my fathers plant, he has had this plant for 30 years and can't remember what it is. I've tried to do a bit of reseach myself, but I am not very knowledgeable when it comes to house plants. Any help would be much appreciative! Thank you

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: ID Help

Hello,

looks like Heptapleurum arboricolum or dwarf umbrella tree but I could be mistaken

o

Oh you're right. They both look very similar...hmm hard to tell which one it would be. Thank you for such a fast reply =)

o

both are one in the same, just common and scientific names, sorry i wasn't very clear.

glad i could help!

On another note that plants reminds me of a tv show from my childhood that i never even thought of since lol

o

They are the same thing, synonyms or old/new names AFAIK.

o

• Posted by wndy USDA z4b MN (My Page) on
    Fri, Mar 22, 13 at 16:06

I agree with Tuck, schefflera arboricola :)

It also goes by the name of Heptapleurum arboricolum, dwarf umbrella tree, umbrella plant, dwarf schefflera.

Here is a link that might be useful: http://www.missouribotanicalgarden.org/gardens-gardening/your-garden/plant-finder/plant-details/kc/b636/schefflera-arboricola.aspx

o

Well, I feel silly. It is now quite obvious I'm not familiar with house plants lol. Thank you everyone very much for the info =)

o

• Posted by wndy USDA z4b MN (My Page) on
    Fri, Mar 22, 13 at 18:13

Don't feel silly! A lot of plants have multiple common names, and some even have multiple scientific names... it doesn't make it easy! I have also heard some people on ebay making up new names for the plants they sell! What a world :-D

o

Im to blame here, the way I wrote it made it seems as though I meant 2 different plants.

As wndy said, there are so many names mistakes will be made lol

o

Well thanks for not giving me a hard time about it! haha. As you can see I'm new to this. Thank you for the link, I sent it to my Dad and he has been telling me facts about his plant all night. He is very pleased to finally know what it is. Thanks again =)

o

It's not a mistake, "they" rename plants! Some of them have 3 or more names. Signing off before I get on my soap box...

o

Well thanks for not giving me a hard time about it! haha. As you can see I'm new to this. Thank you for the link, I sent it to my Dad and he has been telling me facts about his plant all night. He is very pleased to finally know what it is. Thanks again =)

o

Some plants share the same common name and other than that have no relationship whatsoever so I try to remember the latin names to avoid confusion. As far as re-naming goes,I imagine that these days,scientists frequently find that the genetic code of a plant long thought to be THIS is discovered in fact to be THAT and thus they change the name.

I'm just guessing here. lol

o

That is certainly part of it, asleep.

o

Sarah, do you really want to talk about it? I don't want to "go off" if you don't approve - your discussion.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the House Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here