Return to the House Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
what is the deal with aspidistra milky way?

Posted by zusya 6 (My Page) on
Tue, Mar 19, 13 at 15:54

This is the third 'Milky Way' cultivar I've bought over the last four years or so. And AGAIN, it suddenly has mealybugs. Obviously they were there when I bought it, but must have been in the really small stages, because I checked for them specifically!

Again, this is the third one I've tried, and the third one to have mealies! Maybe it's the cultivar, or maybe they have all come from the same janky supplier over the years.

I tried adding a small dose of bonide systemics, but it seems like the aspidistra doesn't like it; the leaves are browning up. I tried oil soap spray on one of the previous specimens, and that also killed all the leaves. Does anybody have experience fighting mealies on an aspidistra?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: what is the deal with aspidistra milky way?

Hi Zusya.

Were all three Aspidistras purchased at the same store?
What about location? Did you set each plant in the same spot?

Mealybugs are extremely hard to kill.
A couple of my Hoyas have mealy. I spray and wipe foliage with Rubbing Alcohol, but unless eggs are eliminated, mealy returns.

There are insecticides, 'if you don't mind chemicals,' that allegedly kill mealy and eggs.
I don't use chemicals, but have heard Bayer 'systemic' rids mealy and other insects.

I don't recommend chemicals, and unaware whether or not Bayer or any other insecticide will harm your Aspidistra. Asp roots are very sensitive to chemicals.

Have you tried Rubbing Alcohol? Toni

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the House Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here