Return to the House Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Moses Plant

Posted by luvofroses So Utah (My Page) on
Sat, Mar 21, 09 at 15:54

Has anyone ever heard of a Moses Plant? My friend recieved one and has no idea of how to take care of it. Any help would be great.
Ann in Soutern Utah

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Moses Plant

Could you mean a Moses in the Cradle plant, whose botanical name is Rhoeo?

Try a search for that & see if the pix match what you have, then you'll get an idea of its care.

o

Hi I have a moses in the cradle or it is also called moses in the boat and you are right it is a Rhoeo, one is dark green with purple under leaves and the other is a light green and white stripes. both have flowers,that are low on the stem, and the flower looks like a boat/cradle with a little person in it....I keep mine in a south window and I get the dark colors and I water it when it drys out a bit...linda

o

Linda, when its flowers fade, hundreds of little, black seeds develope. Let them drop. Instead of one Moses/Rhoeo, you'll have many. You can sow seeds if you're into sowing.
There's a few Rhoeo varieties..your light green with white stripe is either Rhoeo variegata or, Oyster Plant. (don't remember its species name) Oysters, for some reason, are more finicky than purple, green, purple and green or purple and silver, types. Have you noticed?

Ann, Moses in the Cradle/Boat love humidity..humidity and bright light.
Our conservatory has Moses growing on the bottom/ground floor. Because of the humidity, leaves grow long and thick. The way they should look. I wish mine looked half as nice. Toni

o

Can't we pls. wait 'til we hear back if this is the right plant before some folks start giving instructions? What's the big hurry here to instruct on what MAY be the wrong plant?

o

Yes My friend said she believes that is the name that she was told and she said that her flowers look like boats. So she is going to give me a cutting so that I can one too. Humidty may be a problem since I am in the high desert but I will give it my best shot. I am usually doing African Violets so this will be a change. Thanks for all your input and helping me know the correct name.
Ann

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the House Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here