Return to the House Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Bowiea-climbing sea onion

Posted by emerald1951 4 (rstrobel@mchsi.com) on
Tue, Mar 4, 14 at 16:38

Hi all.....I know I have asked in the past, when do these plants multiply and how do they....
well I have my answer....
I have had my Bowiea for about 2 years now and when I got it, it was th size of a shooter marble.....
it is now the size of a soft ball and is on the soil in a 10 inch pot.......the picture below you can see it looks like a lady holding up her dress and you can see the 3 little bulbs popping out, they are the size of large peas...this is so neat I was so surprized to see them and 3...WOW....
if you have one of these plants please post a picture I would love to see them.....thank you all linda

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Bowiea-climbing sea onion

Linda,
I apologize as I'm posting but I don't own a Bowiea. I just wanted to say how nice yours looks.

Do you find their care a bit above average or one of your easier plants to grow?

Planto

o

hi.....easy.....linda

o

Linda,
Hehe, thanks. :) I'll have to keep my eyes peeled for one.

Planto

o

It doesn't seem to be frequently sold in garden centers, but you can buy this plant online. A few bulb companies offer it.

o

Summersunshine,
Thanks for the information. In that case I might have to get one online eventually.

Planto

o

Hi look how big the little bulbs are getting...lets see some of others sea onions, thank you....

This post was edited by emerald1951 on Sat, Mar 29, 14 at 18:22

o

Interesting! I want one! (I actually may have one. I bought some supposed pregnant onions on ebay, but they look more like the baby versions of your sea onion. I guess I'll have to wait until they mature.)

I love weird plants! :-)

o

Hi Linda,

I love your plant. Do you remember where you found it? It has really taken off for you. You have such a green thumb.

Remember the pickle plant you found for me? It has grown a bunch, and you sent the curly hoya too. It is growing and looking good. If you ever want to do a trade, keep me in mind. I should have some nice things to share this year, if only the weather will warm up.

Barb

o

Barb...Hi....I'd like to see your pickle plant, post a picture...
I have 6 baby sea onions..they fell off the other day from the size of a pea to marble....we can work something out...
e-mail me.....linda

o

Here's the pickle and the hindu hoya. They are both pretty happy I think, and when they get outside for the summer will do even better. I'll send you an email. Barb

o

Hi Barb...the plants look great...good job...
I see the e-mail...and I will answer that as soon as I can... I remember you sent me a small hoya....I will have to look at the pictures you sent closer.....talk to you later....linda

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the House Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here