Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
purpleinopp

I want to send you a post card from New Orleans!

If you send me your address in a private note by next Friday, March 29, 2013, I will send you a post card from New Orleans! No late arrivals, I won't be using WWW at all there.

If you are unsure about your Gardenweb settings, please type your email address in the message to make sure I am able to respond.

I've got Dorie, Suzanne, Julianna. Lost Al...

(I feel like that lady from Romper Room!)

Can't wait to spot more "house plants" like this! No, I don't know what these are... In the forefront to the left, I think foxtail fern in front of a palm. Just thought the whole alley was awesome!! (Renovation refuse piles notwithstanding.)

Comments (37)

• birdsnblooms
    11 years ago

Purple, are you in New Orleans or heading there?
    Is the picture a postcard?

That's an alley?? Wow, wish our alley's looked as nice. Reminds me of France..Not that I've ever been overseas. lol.

You're right. The first plant is a Foxtail Fern. And a nice one, too.

You're soooo lucky. Wish we were there or going to NO's.

Have a wonderful, safe trip. Hugs, Toni

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    Original Author
    11 years ago

We're leaving Saturday morning. The pic is one I took last April in New Orleans, guess I didn't make that clear, thanks for helping out on that!

We're staying in a B&B in an old mansion on Esplanade. I can't wait!

• birdsnblooms
    11 years ago

Purple, you ARE lucky.

Did you find/buy plants when you were there last year?

B&B in an old mansion.
    Maybe it will be haunted, too! Sounds exciting!

I wouldn't be able to wait either..

• tropicbreezent
    11 years ago

Agree the "fern " is a Foxtail Fern (actually Asparagus). The palm looks like an Alexander from the distance, but some others look a bit like that as well.

You can't wait! I'm going on a wildflower tour in August, just imagine how much I can't wait with so long to go, LOL. Have a great holiday.

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    11 years ago

You'll have a great time, I'm sure. That palm is probably a young Butia capitata, which are everywhere down there. They make a good outdoor container specimen, when young.

This is a palm that produces copious amounts of berries, which are really delicious when ripe. Don't ask me what they taste like....indescribable!

• delreytropical
    11 years ago

What beauty in the alley! foxtail ferns do look beautiful and I love seeing houseplants out in the wild where they truly belong. Cannot wait for a possible new orleans gardenin photo spectacular! please take pictures :D

Original Author
    11 years ago

Absolutely, already promised to do so in balcony forum, anticipating many of the pics will be OF balconies. Will post a link here end of next week.

• delreytropical
    11 years ago

Thank you in advance! looking forward too it.

Original Author
    11 years ago

Last call = Friday, March 29 (tomorrow.)

• birdsnblooms
    11 years ago

Purple, in case you're busy packing tomorrow, and we don't get a chance to talk, have a wonderful, safe trip. Enjoy. Hugs, Toni

• emerald1951
    11 years ago

Hi,
    I will be waiting for the pictures, this is so nice of you.....
    I have never traveled any where so when I can see though someones eyes is it so great....thank you for included us in on your great trip...wish you the best time ever.......linda

• asleep_in_the_garden
    11 years ago

Just remember that a bloody mary is gonna be your best friend the morning after,ok?

Safe travel,ok? :)

Original Author
    11 years ago

Linda, I'm bringing you along in spirit, you need a vacation! Guess I better apologize ahead of time for your headache Sunday morning. It had to be done.

Thanks folks!

• birdsnblooms
    11 years ago

Purple, you're either on your way or in NO's.

Have a great time...

Don't know if you have access to a 'puter while there, 'you probably don't care either. :)

Toni

• larry_b
    10 years ago

Purple,

Did you have a good time in New Orleans?

Larry

Original Author
    10 years ago

Had a blast! I mean we really had fun, seriously. You can see the balcony and other plant/garden pics we took in this photo album.

Postcards probably didn't get in the mail until yesterday. I kept forgetting to ask the B'n'B to mail them for me, and gave them to the nice ladies at Harold's plant store late Tuesday morning.

Speaking of Harold's plant store - o wow! If you're ever in NOLA, you'll want to see that place. Here are the plants I got there.

This is a piece of what I think is Chandelier Plant, Mother of Thousands (Kalanchoe delagoensis.) This stuff was growing all around, in the cracks of the pavement. (Pics of that also in the album link.)

Original Author
    10 years ago

Nancy B., I apologize profusely for not checking my email again Friday night. Dropping your card in the mail today but unfortunately it will be postmarked Opp, AL instead of NOLA. I found you on Facebook and sent a friend request. Feel free to look at our pics if you want.

It's probably how you want it, but your Gardenweb settings prevented me from replying personally via email.

Hope it's a great day!

• birdsnblooms
    10 years ago

Purple, Welcome Back,

I'm happy you had a great time, a blast... :)

I'll check your photos later; got a doc appt.

Anyway, glad you guys made it home, safe and sound..With plants, to boot. :) Toni

• asleep_in_the_garden
    10 years ago

Welcome home Purp!

Hope the "bloody mary" advice came in handy! :)

Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks, and thanks! Asleep, oh yes, Mary and I have been friends for a long time, I totally agree! Seems like they get more and more spicy, and celery is completely gone, it's now pickled beans and olives.

• asleep_in_the_garden
    10 years ago

I recall spending a new years eve in that wonderful city with friends quite a few years ago. Mary was my salvation the following morning(hair of the something or other).Had it not been for her,I do believe my poor throbbing head would have imploded. The spiciness helps with the swelling in your sinuses,and lets face it the celery and other veggies are practically a salad in your glass. :)

• delreytropical
    10 years ago

Amazing! Love the pictures im so glad you got to go, love the palms of the first pic. Also you found some spectacular finds ! I love the begonia that is a very pale pink its beautiful and lucious!

• asleep_in_the_garden
    10 years ago

Tell me Purp,..
    didja see any of those epiphytic ferns that opportunistically turn up on the sides of buildings all down the gulf coast?
    I remember alleyways that were just smothered in them...a genuine slice of heaven if you ask me! :)

Original Author
    10 years ago

Yes, I saw ferns in alllllll kinds of places where obviously nobody put them on purpose. Wild!

• emerald1951
    10 years ago

Hi...the city looks great..I love the balconys and the plants on them, and the iron fences. it looks like a very nice place to go....glad you had a great time...and thanks for posting the pictures I love seeing them....linda

• asleep_in_the_garden
    10 years ago

Spose anyone has an ID on the ferns in question?

They seem to change physically as they grow like an aroid and my guess is that I'd been seeing the same type of fern in various stages of maturity. Now I've seen resurrection ferns in the trees,but they don't look at all the same(unless it's another growth stage of the same plant(which I doubt somehow).

• birdsnblooms
    10 years ago

Purple,

NO's seems to be a laid-back city.
    Native plants are gorgeous.
    Those palms!!!
    I still say NO's resembles France.
    Also reminds me of Interview with a Vampire.

You chose a great variety.
    Does the Plect have large leaves? 3" or larger?
    Plecs are one of my favorites, but never saw one with shape and size similar to yours.

What type of soil do they pot in. What about container size?

Glad you had a good time. Lucky you. :)
    Wish we could get away, but impossible.
    It'd be nice to stay in a B&B, no cleaning, taking care of pets...Don't get me wrong, I love and would miss my little guys, but NO responsibilities a few days, week or months, lol, j/k, being served breakfast, lunch and dinner is a dream.

BTW, I love your new Kalanchoe. It too has the common name, Mother of thousands/millions, but nowhere as hardy as other Kalanchoes w/the same common name.
    With others, MOT/M's, a leaf drops then produces a zillion off-spring. They grow EVERYWHERE. For some reason, your Kal isn't quite as hardy or should I say, persistent.

Glad you're back

Original Author
    10 years ago

Laid back - you can't imagine! True 'dat!

If the sun would ever come back out, I would do something with these plants besides walk by them very quickly. Haven't even investigated to see if there's a species tag for the Plectranthus, guess I assumed she was a Mona, but maybe not.

Probably just good ol' peat in the pots. Until I look, we can fantasize there's some special, magical juju in there!

On our way home we stopped at Gulf Islands park in MS and saw an alligator! Up REAL close, I could have touched it. Forgot to say anything about that the other day. Still haven't seen one in AL, but finally, after living down here 6 yrs, I've seen a live gator.

• birdsnblooms
    10 years ago

Dat true? :)

Are your new plants in or outside?
    Getting started is always a pain, but once motivated AND prepared, repotting or whatever needs doing, gets easier.

Aw, NO's plant juju. Dat be good.

Petting da gator. Dat be a challenge. Big teets. lol.

He's a nice-looking fellow, but don't think I'd stick my hand near those pearly whites.

See any interesting beads?

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    10 years ago

Lol....WHAT pearly whites? When I lived in SC, rare was the day that I didn't see alligators.

Thanks for the post card, purp! Hope that you had a good time.

Original Author
    10 years ago

New plants are all outside, the Plectranthus is in the ground now, there was a tag buried in there that said Mona Lavender. Motivation's not the problem, it just won't warm up. Finally got some sun late yesterday, and today's amazing. Won't be in here long.

The Begonia is actually 3 plants, so will separate and put those in 3 diff spots. Tradescantia is going in a pot, SPV at the base of a tree or on the fence, undecided yet, Heliotrope in the ground in the front yard, moving some Cannas to give it a prime spot.

We had a blast, Rhiz! Already talking about next years' trip. Think I have my brother convinced to come with us.

• tapla (mid-Michigan, USDA z5b-6a)
    10 years ago

Got a postcard from Tiffany today, postmarked NO. I hadn't looked at this thread until now, but remembered someone had started a thread about postcards from NO, so I came to look into it. I'm guessing my addy turned up somewhere. Thanks for the card! I hope you rocked the town. ;-)

Al

Original Author
    10 years ago

Hey, that's cool! You had sent me a business card a while back which I thought I'd lost but was just in the back of the drawer. Glad it was a fun surprise. Haven't done that in years, forgot myself how fun it was to send postcards from vacation, even if you get back home before they get to people.

We did have a blast! Stayed in an old mansion on Esplanade, and just the amount of fun I remember is amazing, hard to believe it all happened in a few days.

Original Author
    10 years ago

An update on the NOLA plants...

Sweet potato vine has been added to this hodge-pot, upper right:
    {{gwi:79284}}

Begonia repotted, bonus anole lizards:
    {{gwi:79285}}

Tradescantia potted to hanging pot:
    {{gwi:79286}}

Kalanchoe never even wilted. It laid on the front porch for a few days after we got home. Couldn't decide what to do with it, so stuck it here to take root until I decide. It's already growing new leaves.

{{gwi:79287}}

The pic of the Heliotrope was too dark to see anything, maybe next time...

• asleep_in_the_garden
    10 years ago

Purp,
    that kalanchoe is a "mother of thousands"(of course you knew that already!) and with modified leaves that self-propagate by the end of the growing season you're gonna have like...a MILLION of those things! LOL

Original Author
    10 years ago

Yes, a little nervous but I'm banking on them NOT being hardy here. If the temp doesn't kill what's left outside, the rains should. You can see the babies forming on the new leaves. Looks like I can snap off whatever size piece(s) I want to save for winter.

Original Author
    10 years ago

Here's where the Heliotrope went, front steps "hodge pot." Until a few weeks ago, it was the yellow snaps and pansies over winter. I took the pansies out and put these sun-lovers for summer.

Sponsored
Michael Nash Design, Build & Homes
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars254 Reviews
Northern Virginia Design Build Firm | 18x Best of Houzz