Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lamora_gw

i think it is finally here!! :)

Lamora
11 years ago

Hi ya'll!! I do believe that Spring is finally here, and to stay, I hope she will anyway. Smells so good outside, have the windows open, well in our room anyway, daddy keeps closing the rest of the windows /sigh. Almost 50F right now. Wind is a bit cooler than I would like, but in a few months we will be wanting that breeze-- lol..

I a planning on repotting/trimming/ and all around plant maintance next week. (DH is not going to like what I want to do with a few, but who's plants are they anyway??) ;)
I think I have enough soil stuff to mix right now, plenty of pots, and a good idea of what I want to do. (Now if I can only make it work!)

Hopfully by next week it will be warm enough for them to go outside, at least during the day... I think they will like that.... may do it for this afternoon for a bit.

OH-OH!! My Lipstick plant is showing a BUD!!! First one this year!! That is one I was planning on repotting, but I think I will wait on that now. So excited!! I realize it is only ONE bud, but it is MY bud!! lol

Here's to Spirng finally getting here and hoping she stays!
Marjie :)

Comments (17)

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    11 years ago

Hey Marjie, glad to read this about things going well, awesome! If you feel like sharing a pic of your bud, I bet it's cute. What is it you want to do? Mix plants together in a same pot?

I've been repotting stuff today too, fun (after dinner and a nights' sleep!)

Wishing you tons of warm air and sunshine! Don't forget the sunscreen like I did, this is crazy but my arms feel a little burned from the past 2 days of sudden exposure. Oops!
    - Tiffany

• delreytropical
    11 years ago

March is in no way bringing on a hint of spring for me, in chicago we are 16 degrees below average! We still have snow flurries and its freezing and windy! Cannot believe this weather it doesnt seem to end until easter when were back in the 50's

• Sarah1502
    11 years ago

A beautiful day. It got into the 70's here. And I'm stuck in an office all day. :( Hopefully this weekend will give me an opportunity to get dirt on my hands. I can't wait to get some indoor plants repotted and get others moved outdoors.

Spring here means everything is dusted with pollen. My car is a lovely shade of orange right now. lol

• wndy_gardenweb
    11 years ago

Glad to hear some of you are getting nice weather! Supposed to be about 3 F tonight (Twin Cities, MN).... snow showers tomorrow...... someday I'll live somewhere warmer!

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    11 years ago

Sarah - pollen everywhere here too! I had buckets out to catch the rain yesterday and it's yellow water in them. The plants all look like they've been in the overspray zone for someone spray-painting.

Looks like I'll be bringing a lot of plants back in Wed & Thurs nights, hadn't planned on that but the forecast changed... not supposed to frost, but mid-30's is too close for comfort! WTH!? That's about 10 degrees colder than predictions from over the weekend, guess Mother Nature has PMS.

• larry_b
    11 years ago

Hi Marjie,

We have also been having nice weather here in the Denver area. A few days ago we had 75ðF. It has been colder the last couple of days but the high temperature should be 60ð F tomorrow. Then on Saturday we will have a high of 31ð F. That's why I would call it a touch of spring so far.

Where in zone 4 do you live where spring would be coming?

Larry

• Lamora
    Original Author
    11 years ago

lol-- ok, jumped the gun some, woke up and it was trying to snow this morning!! It didn't stick tho, wet and cold out today, but it still smells nice. I remember a life time ago that we would have snow in May! but that hasn't happened in over 20 yrs, April snow is not uncommon here either. But as long as it doesn't stick, I can handle it~~ :)

Not quite 40F right now. Spring has a hard time waking up in these parts. She pops up says hello, then goes back to sleep..... teasing us... lol but she is here. I think...

Larry- I am in a small little town called Preston Idaho.
    and yes- I am so glad I am not back East.. winter there was wicked this year, so I shouldn't complain.

One day Spring will be here for all!! :) hope it is soon.

Marjie

• larry_b
    11 years ago

Hi Marjie,

In the last several years May has been fairly warm also in the Denver area. But I remember around eight years ago that it snowed about 8 or 9 inches of heavy wet snow on May 10th. I remember because we refinanced the house and we were having trouble finding a bank, that had a notary, to sign the forms. Most the banks in our small town were closed, because the heavy wet snow had broken branches and power lines. It was a real mess. We had to find a bank out in the suburbs where the power lines were buried in the ground.

Larry

• birdsnblooms
    11 years ago

Howdy,

Hi Marjie...I owe you... :(

Spring arrived, a whole two days, but winter returned.

It's 3:46p.m.. Temp is at its peak. 25F.

The good news is it's extremely sunny, the bad news, plants are aching for fresh air and higher humidity.

Actually, another plus about the cold is ants are scarce.

So, in some ways, warm weather opposed to cold is a toss up.

In IL, it isn't a rarity seeing snow as late as May.
    Last winter was a blessing. My Gardenia and Geraniums were outside as early as Feb. A couple weeks back indoors, then out until fall.

It would be nice breathing fragrant, spring scents. Toni

• delreytropical
    11 years ago

Toni being in illinois as well I have to say this march seems below average by a longshot. I can take a couple 20-30 degree days but for weeks on weeks, its hard to see the end. I did check accuweathers monthly forecast, it looks like we have a chance of 60's coming up! A day in the garden I hope

• birdsnblooms
    11 years ago

Delrey....I just noticed your post.

Yep, IL's temps are certainly below average. Either below average, or above considering how long you've been an IL resident.

As a kid, 'lived in Chicago back then,' February was very very cold. I remember my mother saying, April showers bring May Flowers, but we had two major snowstorms in Apr.
    And several ice storms, too.

Around Easter, it'd warm up. My father bought us kids Easter jackets, which were light, 'compared to winter coats,' to attend mass.
    Of course, when you're a kid, no weather is too cold to go outside and play. lol.

The last 20-yrs has changed significantly...except for 2013.
    It IS cold out there. Sunny, but cold.
    I prefer 80F and up. 70's would be perfect for March.

Hope you're right...60 would be perfect, as long as temps didn't drop. My body doesn't adapt from warm to cold..

A day in the garden would be nice...better yet, placing plants outside until autumn.

If you don't mind me asking..where are you located? Don't be specific...generally speaking. Toni

• birdsnblooms
    11 years ago

Delrey....I just noticed your post.

Yep, IL's temps are certainly below average. Either below average, or above considering how long you've been an IL resident.

As a kid, 'lived in Chicago back then,' February was very very cold. I remember my mother saying, April showers bring May Flowers, but we had two major snowstorms in Apr.
    And several ice storms, too.

Around Easter, it'd warm up. My father bought us kids Easter jackets, which were light, 'compared to winter coats,' to attend mass.
    Of course, when you're a kid, no weather is too cold to go outside and play. lol.

The last 20-yrs has changed significantly...except for 2013.
    It IS cold out there. Sunny, but cold.
    I prefer 80F and up. 70's would be perfect for March.

Hope you're right...60 would be perfect, as long as temps didn't drop. My body doesn't adapt from warm to cold..

A day in the garden would be nice...better yet, placing plants outside until autumn.

If you don't mind me asking..where are you located? Don't be specific...generally speaking. Toni

• delreytropical
    11 years ago

Western chicago suburb-- cook county :) I do notice that in the past years the temps have gone up steadily, however this march does not fit along those increasing averages. I do see that we have high 40's -50's coming on, without a rapid drop in temperature. My heart does ache a little when I see the sprouts outside bracing the 30 degree wind with no snow insulation. April is looking to be a lot warmer!

• Lamora
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hi again, cold windy and wet now, high of 40F for the past few days, but yesterday didn't get to 30, right now not quite 40 but the wind is wicked cold.... only one that likes is is My Sadie dog!! lol poor thing, hope this summer we will have a fenced in yard for her. She just cannot understand why her pack doesn't want to go out and play in the cold and wind!! lol

but for what it is worth, Spring is here. :)
    Marjie

• roseyd
    11 years ago

I went home last night, and finally was able to see my flower beds (the snow almost all melted) - it was 50 degrees yesterday.

I got my cutters and cut back all my rose bushes. With all the broken branches - I had little choice but to cut them down low.

I'm hoping they'll come back.

The irises are already sticking their first leaves out of the ground!

One more month and I may be able to start transplanting all my awaiting bulbs outside.

Another 50 degree day??? I'll be happy when there's no chance of snow left in our forecast. It's still to early in the season that we can't be hit with another cold spell.

I ordered another plant light, and some starter trays - so I can get some seedlings started. This is going to be a year of experimenting with annuals. I'm not sure how sunflowers will do mixed in among the rose bushes... but why not? :)

• birdsnblooms
    11 years ago

Delrey.

I'm in Cook, too, near Brookfield Zoo. Ever go there?

It's 45F, but the sun, 'shining bright at 8am,' is hiding.
    Last night, around 9pm, I stepped outside.
    We had snow showers, but flakes were large.

Garden Arum has several leaves. Tulips, Daffs and a couple other bulbs sprouted.
    I pray temps don't drop below 30F.

For some odd reason, my Snow Crocus didn't pop up this year. Usually, they appear late Feb. Even while snow is on the ground.

I saved Dahlia corms from last year. They're sitting in a paper bag in the basement. Haven't checked, but there's been times corms sprouted.
    Because temps fluctuate so often, I fear planting in the ground so soon.
    Last year corms were planted late in the season, so I'd like to get a head start this time around.

Hope you're right about warmer temps.

Hi Marjie.. Have you seen any robins yet?
    I saw a robin Monday. First of the year.
    Usually a good indication spring is near. I hope.

I still can't detect that wonderful, spring scent. Still smells like winter..boohoo...Toni

• larry_b
    11 years ago

It will be 50ð today, 60ðtomorrow and around 60ð highs for the next week. The snow is melting fast on the lawn. Maybe spring is finally showing itself. But, like I said, we can have snow in May so we can't rule that out in Denver.

Larry

PS: Oh, and the gutter heater worked like a charm after this last snow storm.

This post was edited by larry_b on Wed, Mar 27, 13 at 12:51

Sponsored
MAC Design + Build
Average rating: 4.3 out of 5 stars18 Reviews
Loudon County Full-Service Design/Build Firm & Kitchen Remodeler