Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lamora_gw

Just Saying Hi!

Lamora
11 years ago

Hi! Hope everyone is doing better than I am right now. Only thing that is going well are my plants. (and my DH has his computer back!! yeaaa!!)

Nothing is showing any signs of flowers yet, slightly worried about my Spirng Cactus (Easter) not showing any new growth, but it still looks very healthy.

Only have one plant that is not doing well, Bromeliad Guzmainia? (I think that is how it is spelled-- can't find my glasses to read it-- /sigh) The mother plant is all but dead, and the pups are dying. Not sure why cept that they could use some real sunshine~~ they all could, but it is still too cold right now. Hope next week or 2 it will be warm enough for at least during the day. Crossing fingers, not holding breath~~ around here you never know...

But I will have some questions in a bit when I want to repot a few, can not believe how much some of these babies grew this winter!! not sure any of them went dormant. Not sure if that is good or bad thing... but they are healthy and to me that is all that matters.. Cept for the Bromeliad of course.

Anyway, just wanted to check in~~ say hi~~ and hope you are all doing well, and your plants too..

Marjie~~ :)

Comments (8)

• Sarah1502
    11 years ago

Hi Marjie,

Happy to hear all of your plants (or almost all) are doing well. Hope everything else gets better too. Most of my plants are happy and healthy. I have a fittonia that isn't doing well. Poor thing was one of my first and I made all of my learning mistakes on it. It's still hanging on and I do not have the heart to throw it out as long as it is still alive.
    I'm anxious to get some of my plants outside, too. But even here in the deep South it's still too chilly. Right now besides having all of my plants inside, I have my garden seeds started in trays. They're all over the house, including my coffee table in the living room. lol

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    11 years ago

Hey, Marjie! Sorry about your Bromeliad. All you can do is all you can do, which it sounds like you're doing.

I've got some plants struggling too from there not being enough sunny spaces by windows for all of them. Like Sarah, there are plants where they are not supposed to go, like sitting on the bed all day. Looks like Mother Nature is going to flip the switch here Friday, about 2 weeks later than last year. All plants are going outside then. Wishing spring arrives everywhere ASAP!

• pirate_girl
    11 years ago

Sorry some of you are having a hard time. Hopefully, Spring will bring better times

Sarah,

for the Fittonia, don't know the trouble, but they need high humidity. If you haven't already, put it in a plastic bag or terrarium globe. The only ways I grew Fittonias successfully were either in terrariums or the bathrooom window (high humidity).

• Lamora
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks for the idea of plastic bag "duh" I took the babies off the Bromeliad today, threw mom away, hope there were enough roots for them. They are now in soil, sepreat pots, in a bread bag,,, don't laugh, only thing i have :P But hoping it works. They look real dry though, so crossing fingers...

umm purple?? sitting on the bed all day?? sounds like you're running out of room there!! lol.. our dog would not allow any plants on the bed.. haha..

but thanks again for the support. I am still learning this stuff, hoping something with get in my brain and stick.

Marjie :)

11 years ago

Wish I knew more about Bromeliads but I'm sure you've gotten excellent advice. I remember seeing the big beautiful red flower when you got it.

How are the Pothos cuttings doing?

Yes, today is the last day for this:

• Lamora
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hi again, just letting you know that the pups are doing very well now! plastic bags are working well, they are turning green and looking better every day.

Thanks again
    Marjie-- someone that just needs to be "reminded" sometimes~~

11 years ago

Well at least you write it down when you ask people what a plant is. I just keep asking once a year or so until it sticks...! Glad to hear you're seeing improvement!

• Lamora
    Original Author
    11 years ago

purple-- the pothos are doing very well,, almost too well,keep having to put hooks in the cieling for them to trail! the one that was burned, we cut off, put in water to root, but we have a new starter on the end of the main plant where it got burned now! Found out that the hook it was on got way too hot for the vine, burned it. guess it was too close to the heater, we moved it away and it seems to be fine now.

Thanks for asking :)
    Marjie

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022