Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tuckamore

Croton (sloppy painter) advice

Tuckamore
11 years ago

Hello,

So I was at the store and seen a 5" croton in a pot for $3 so I figured, why not? I already got 5 new plants since yesterday (I think I have a problem,... thats the first step right??)

Anyway, it turns out there are 3 little guys in a 4" pot, the soil feels more like pottery than anything else...pathetic! Most of the other plants were near dead...

Question: Should I split these guys up or can I keep them all in one pot?

Thanks!

Comments (18)

• delreytropical
    11 years ago

hmm, I repotted one of my crotons into a much bigger pot and it is not happy, I would check to see the roots coming out of the bottom, once you see the roots are anxious then repot or you could try repotting it into better soil.

• birdsnblooms
    11 years ago

Hi Tuck,

Congrats, on your new additions.
    Five plants in two days..yep, that's the first step..lol.

What type of Croton did you get?

If the Croton was mine, I'd keep all the trunks together. Crotons look good when full. Compact.

It depends on taste though.

• Tuckamore
    Original Author
    11 years ago

A picture is worth a thousand words, so here it is. Its a bit blurry...stupid cell!

del.-

Yes, the roots are coming out the bottom. I will be re-potting tonight. But, I will be keeping them together :)

hope-

Those are just 5 of many...many..lol. Also, with all the easter plant baskets that are around right now for easter gifts I'll end up with more once they go on sale next week lol

Do these guys tend to grow quickly (slow I believe) ?

Any more tips for this guys will be appreciated

Thanks!

• teengardener1888
    11 years ago

That is a pretty photo. I would keep tjem togethet but repot

• Tuckamore
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks!

I did re-pot, but I also separated the trunks as they were very crowded at the base. They are still in one pot, just spaced out a bit better.

Tuck

• delreytropical
    11 years ago

Hey I have one of those! yes, I got it at HD, for $10, there are 7 plants in one 10inch pot, they look better together, it makes for one full plant. Beware mine was attacked by spidermites and is practically leafless until I bring it out in the summer.
    ---As for growth rate it depends, one of mine (petra I beleive) grows very fast, my other petra that I repotted grows very slow, if it grows at all.

Beautiful plant thanks for sharing

• birdsnblooms
    11 years ago

Tuck. I like.

Crotons are fairly slow-growing, although, if placed outside in summer, they grow a little faster.
    Also, colors/variegation deepens.

Del is right about mites. Spray foliage, shower in sink, and keep in a semi-cool area, far away from a heat source.

During winter, once a month or more, (depending on my energy level,) I fill kitchen the sink w/water and 2 drops of dish soap, then set Croton in water until top soil is saturated.

Croton leaves really perk up.

I want a Croton like yours..lol.

Love your room; it's so spacy.
    Your D. marginata is huge!

Del. One reason I like C. petra, variegation differs. Probably depends on light and humidity.

Toni

• Tuckamore
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks!
    This little guy was only 3$ but its a very nice little plant. Ill be sure to give it a shower, as you have indicated, from time to time.

Toni,

My D. marginata grew like a weed last summer, its close to 5' now. I have a south facing sun room that gets very hot in the summer so I sometimes water twice per day for some plants but they grow like mad! This guy doubled in height last year and outgrew 2 pots. so I look forward to putting it back out there once it warms up.

If I can get another 3' I'll be topping it and cut each of the others 1' foot shorter than the one above it.

• birdsnblooms
    11 years ago

3.00 is a good price. Is it in a 4" pot?

Next time I go shopping.....lol.
    Our grocery store, Jewel's, sometimes has plants in 4" pots for 1.00.
    In fact, my D. marginata came from Jewel's.

I wonder about marginatas. The first 9 or so years, it grew like a weed. It's 5-6' tall, but hasn't grown the last year or two. Marginata gets minimal fertilizer. SW windows, plus some artificial light at night.

What's the large plant, on the floor to the left?

• Tuckamore
    Original Author
    11 years ago

hope-

Yup, 3 plants in a 4" pot for $3.00. Great deal in my opinion.

My marginata actually has 2 pot mates. A philo and a Epipremnum aureum, they aren't big, the just cover up the soil and help keep the soil from getting to hot when in the sun-room.

The large plant to the left is Schefflera arboricola 'Gold Capella', and if you look in the background, on either side of the window there are two clay pots that contain 2 small versions of this plant. These may eventually be "bonsai" but I haven't fully decided lol

Tuck

• birdsnblooms
    11 years ago

3.00 is a good price. Is it in a 4" pot?

Next time I go shopping.....lol.
    Our grocery store, Jewel's, sometimes has plants in 4" pots for 1.00.
    In fact, my D. marginata came from Jewel's.

I wonder about marginatas. The first 9 or so years, it grew like a weed. It's 5-6' tall, but hasn't grown the last year or two. Marginata gets minimal fertilizer. SW windows, plus some artificial light at night.

What's the large plant, on the floor to the left?

• teengardener1888
    11 years ago

IF YOUR TALKING ABOUT THE ONE WITH SPLASHED LEAVES IT IS A VARIEGATED SCHLEFFERA ARBOCOLA

• Tuckamore
    Original Author
    11 years ago

exactly what I said...SO RELAX!

geez...so angry

Tuck

• pirate_girl
    11 years ago

Hey there,

Easy pls. TG, Toni's newly back posting after having been gone for a while, maybe she just missed the answer, or just read too fast. I know I've been guilty of same, haven't you ever?

She has also had vision problems in the past, so pls. a bit more gently & /or more patiently pls???

• birdsnblooms
    11 years ago

Karen, thanks for your support.

Often, while I'm on GW I start writing a post, but something comes up. Either the dog needs taking out, the phone rings, etc.

By the time I submit, 2-10 other posts can be written, in which I do not see.

In other words, I didn't see your post Tuck.

• Tuckamore
    Original Author
    11 years ago

No worries!

It can be tough to tell if someone has posted since you finish a post of your own. I know I end up reading right after I post just to check lol

In addition, that plant you asked about was 6$ on clearance!!

Tuck

• delreytropical
    11 years ago

I do have to say $3 is a great price, and its in very good condition! I know HD sometimes sells great plants for 2.98 in 4" pots, but none have looked as good as that croton! good luck can't wait to see it grow.

• pirate_girl
    11 years ago

You're welcome Toni, glad to see you back posting again.

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting