Return to the House Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
song of india

Posted by meh11 none (My Page) on
Fri, Mar 1, 13 at 17:15

i've noticed clear droplets(?) on the underside of the leaves on my song of india. they are sticky and seem like a type of sap. just wondering if this is normal and if not what is it and how do i correct issue? thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: song of india

Hi & welcome to Gardenweb!

Are you talking about a Dracaena? Do you see any bugs or brown bumps?

o

yes the Dracaena reflexa. I haven't noticed any bugs or brown bumps

o

Guttation?

tj

o

i also believe it is guttation. song of indias are very pretty plants. i have a teacher at school whos dog has been eating hers. isnt it sad

o

Have y'all seen Dracs guttating? I haven't, but I don't think any of mine are D. reflexa...

Meh, do you have a pic of your plant you could include in this discussion?

o

here's a picture. there were more droplets before but i've wiped most of them off.

o

That does look like guttation and you're right, I don't see any pests either. Is the soil really wet?

Great looking plant, BTW!

I'm really curious if others have seen Dracs guttating.

o

does anyone know what causes guttation. i have it on my prima donna spider plant

o

I looked into guttation, seems like it is probably the issue. . . . Looks like I've been caught over watering! Thanks for taking the time to respond everyone!

o

Guttation is a watering problem - droplets of sticky moisture appear on uninjured leaves as a result of too much soil moisture and too much humidity in the air. Moisture is not lost as quickly through evaporation in very humid air as is being absorbed by the roots, so it oozes out of plant pores. It is often seen as a sugary-looking crystal at the base of a leaf of a weeping fig and assumed to be an insect.

o

your welcome. even know i didnt help much beyond verification

o

all input is helpful and welcome:)

o

Teen, you might enjoy reading this discussion.

Glad you think that's what it is, Meh.

o

Interesting. I have never had guttation occur on any of my dracaenas, even after a soaking from a summer rain outside on the deck. I HAVE seen it on my pothos and philo prince of orange, but it is never sticky - it's just water droplets.

o

Yeah, I'm stuck on "sticky" too... I've seen a lot of plants guttate, but it was never sticky.

o

my dwarf orange tree was guttating a few weeks ago. must show pics when i can

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the House Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here