Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
johnaw_gw

Magazine on Houseplants

johnaw
17 years ago

There was a magazine that was devoted to Houseplants only a number of years ago, nore like 30 years. This magazine was the best magazine I have ever seen on Houseplants. It told you how to care form.

Comments (10)

• seaecho1
    17 years ago

I posted on this maybe a couple of years ago. I still can't believe there isn't a SINGLE magazine published that covers houseplants only. I don't understand it. It just doesn't make sense, as there seem to be a gillion magazines on gardening and outside plants. There would be more than enough info to keep a houseplant magazine going virtually forever, considering all the plants that are available for indoor growing! And new ones being introduced all the time! A different genus could be highlighted every month. Tropicals could be included and would be really good reading too. It could be truly awesome. Its a shame because I know just about everyone on this forum would buy it in an instant. Someone could sure make a mint!

Randi

• socaljez
    17 years ago

Yes, it's a real shame there aren't any magazines on House Plants.

• greattigerdane
    17 years ago

How about we all go in on putting together a houseplant magazine, and we ALL can make a cool mint, or two.....

Billy Rae

• windeaux
    17 years ago

The magazine jonaw remembers is probably HOUSEPLANTS & PORCH GARDENS which was published during the indoor plant craze of the late 70's/early 80's. There were a couple of others, but H&PG was the best of the lot -- it was certainly the slickest & stayed around the longest.

Publication of any periodical is a very risky business these days. The success of a magazine is dependent on a lot of factors, not the least of which are subscriptions, total circulation and (most especially) revenue from advertizers. If memory serves, H&PG folded when it became apparent that the quality of the magazine could not be maintained with the limited amout of advertizing dollars they were able to generate. Exacerbating that situation was the unfortunate fact that the houseplant fad began to wane.

• johnaw
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Yes that is the magazine that I was thinking about and could not think of the name of it. This was a very good and interesting magazine. Never knew what happen to it.

What someone need to do is get in touch with FINE GARDENING and see if they would be interested in get a magazine of this type going once again. Maybe all they need is to let them know that there is a great deman for one on HOUSE PLANTS.

• joy4me
    17 years ago

Hi All:

If you Google in "Houseplant magazine" you will find some sites.

Hope you find what you're looking for!! :)

• willcreed
    17 years ago

People will spend thousands of dollars on their outdoor landscape and gardens, but few people spend more that a few dollars on houseplants. The Big Box stores have tapped into this mindset by selling mostly small and inexpensive plants. The advertisers required to sustain a houseplant magazine understand this and are unwilling to invest in a market that does not spend a lot of money.

I was an original subscriber to HP&PG Magazine and was very sad when it disappeared. But I understand why. I am even more dismayed by the demise of small retail garden shops that sell indoor plants. I correspond with folks all over the US and most have only a big box store as a source for plants.

Will Creed
    Indoor landscaper

• albert_135   39.17°N 119.76°W 4695ft.
    17 years ago

As noted above Googling for Houseplant Magazine will get some hits. (I found one and posted on or about 22nd but the post went into space somehow, anyway, there is a link to a quarterly out there in Googlespace. I don't know if the link is any good.)

• marquest
    17 years ago

There are so many Home magazines I often wonder why they do not have a section on Houseplants. They are good for indoor air quality and they add to the decor of a room.

• amdona
    14 years ago

I have several of the "House Plants & Porch Gardens" magazines from the late 1970's.....