Return to the House Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
My Jasmine Sambac - is this normal?

Posted by goddess9 7 (My Page) on
Wed, Mar 14, 12 at 17:42

I bought this plant at the Philadelphia Flower Show, and just now noticed that the underside of the leaves all have these white "bumps" near the veins. I don't know quite how to explain it.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Near the middle of the leaf - you see? When I swipe the area with rubbing alcohol, nothing moves. They kind of look like tiny, tiny hairs. I'm obsessive about my plants being bug-free. Does any one have input as to whether I should worry or not?

BTW, the new leaves don't have these but the "teenage" leaves start to. Please, please help!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: My Jasmine Sambac - is this normal?

I would rub the problem areas with an alcohol saturated paper towel. If the bumps still remain, they are probably just some harmless areas of oedema.

o

It could be normal like the poster above mentioned, but if its not my best guess is white flies. My dad had a wax plant that he severely neglected and it had an infestation of white flies. There were fuzzy white things all over it, some large and some small. If this is the case simply wipe the leaves and spray the leaves with a mixture of neem oil, dish soap and water once every 2-4 weeks until it is completely gone.

o

Those little bumps are not whitefly.

o

Auron. When a plant has whitefly, when touched or brushed against, whitefly take off..They're quite fast.
Sounds like your dads Wax Begonia had Mealy Bugs.

I agree with Odyssey. If bumps don't wash/rub off, they're not insects.
To be sure, check leaves daily. See if bumps move or grow. Toni

o

Thanks for the input, folks.

My Jasmine's growth has really taken off and all of the new leaves have that as well. Rubbing alcohol does nothing to this bumps, so I leave them alone. Nothing comes off, nothing moves. The stems have similar hairs so I'm assuming nothing is afoul.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the House Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here