Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
luvofroses

anthurium

luvofroses
15 years ago

I saw one of these today did not buy it until someone from here could tell me about this. I am a novice at house plants. I have some African Violets, just got my first hoya and my first peace lilly. Is this lovely plant something I could grow and not kill? Please lend me any of your expertise, if this something a novice that learns quickly can do. thank you so very much. I will be waiting for any and all help

Ann

Comments (25)

• greattigerdane
    15 years ago

Easy plant!

I treat my anthurium pretty much like a peace lily, except more brighter indirect light and some direct sun.It sits off to the side a little bit of a south facing window.

The soil is kept on the side of "semi evenly moist" not wet, letting it dry down a couple of inches or so before watering again.

Some people might think this plant needs to have extra humidity to do well, but really, it does not.
    I have had for a 2 or 3 yrs and never do anything special.I don't mist, or keep it on a pebble tray and it does perfectly fine.
    Double potting can help keep the soil moist if it's planted in a clay pot.

You'll want to make sure that it's not over-potted, but more on the snug side with soil that drains well.

Billy Rae

• luvofroses
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks Billy Rae, I really think i will go back and get one. I am just getting back into houseplants after eons of being without plants.It all started the first of the month when i really wanted an African Violet ( for some unknown reason )I used to have these for a long while in my younger years.I now have 8 violets, a peace lilly and a hoya.All this in less than a month. So far everyone seems happy and are still alive. I would love to add the anthurium. Is there a common name for this plant and does it grow big and unrully or does it behave it self? Thanks for any and all your help and/or suggestions.
    Ann

• greattigerdane
    15 years ago

Hi Ann,

There are a few common names for this plant, but the one I remember is, "Flamingo flower."

I think they do behave themselves pretty well, but, if they ever get too large for your taste, or start to look a bit wild, cutting specific leaves and stems out to make the plant look more pleasing to the eye, or. splitting the root-ball in half would be an easy fix:O)

Billy Rae

• pirate_girl
    15 years ago

Sorry lor, but I must respectfully disagree w/ Billy Rae. I don't believe these are easy plants nor are they regarded as such.

I've had trouble growing them for years, now I grow mine Hydro & it's just OK. I was going to suggest you see how you do w/ the Peace Lily & if that works for you, THEN try an Anthurium.

• Mentha
    15 years ago

I agree with PG, anthurium is one plant I cannot keep alive for long. I have many pieces of lava rock to prove it. Even in soil, I can't keep them alive. A very hard plant to keep alive without a lot of humidity.

• mr_subjunctive
    15 years ago

Well okay. I was going to stay out of this one, but I feel obligated to side with Billy Rae here. Anthuriums aren't the easiest plant I've ever owned, but I've had more trouble with my African violets (Saintpaulia) and peace lilies (Spathiphyllum). (Though the peace lilies and I did eventually reach an understanding.) Anthuriums are, in fact, one of my favorites, and I have a completely stupid number of them (22 at last count, plus one of the birds-nest types, which are genuinely more difficult, and two of a hybrid called 'Mehani,' which also seem to have somewhat unreasonable humidity expectations but have very pretty leaves), because I find them easy and pretty.

I have not found it to be the case that the regular flowering Anthuriums (A. andreanum and scherzerianum) demand impossible amounts of humidity: when I've gotten into trouble with mine, it's usually been a watering thing. Bright light, temperatures above 60F at all times, soil that drains well, water when about halfway dry. I've had spider mites once or twice, but never bad. When happy, they can be in more or less continuous bloom: I've had one go for a year and a half with at least one bloom on it at all times. (The blooming only stopped because the plant was getting hard to handle, so I cut it back and restarted it: it would have kept blooming if I'd let it.)

• birdsnblooms
    15 years ago

I think the point here is whether or not someone who is new to plants, newbie if you will, is capable of keeping Anthurium alive.

Billy, you're pretty much professional, so naturally you deem Anthurium, and easy-to-care-for plant.
    After X yrs of growing tropicals, it's only the last 10, Anthuriums lived more than a year.
    They need a lot of humidity..something the average household is without.
    They also need 'that perfect' spot. Dislike being moved around. And a tropical warmth, again, average homes aren't equipped with..can you imagine living in 100% humdity at 90F degrees? lol

Billy, most newbies, 'God, I hate that word,' come here to house plants and ask about common plants..Pothos, spiders, peace lily. etc. Anthuriums is 4 steps up from the basics.
    I'm not saying Ann shouldn't buy an Anthuruium, moreso if she can get one at a great deal.
    Walmart had 8" Anthuriums for 3.00..Can't beat that..But to pay 29.99 and up, and something happens, Ann is going to feel lost. Perhaps, consider herself a 'brown thumb,' and might even give up growing plants altogether.

Ann, I'm not talking behind your back..lol..I hope you buy the Anthurium, and it lives happily ever after. But with Anthuriums, some effort is required. Not that you have to spend 24 hours, neutering. lol. Anthuriums can't be thrown in a pot, set in a sill, watered, and left alone.
    My Anthuriums sit next to an indoor waterfall, misted daily, and showered weekly. All are rootbound, (something most ppl can't conceive,) under additional artificial light, (not necessary.) Even under these conditions, a leaf will occasionally yellow.

So Ann, are you going to get an Anthurium? Toni

• nanw_4wi
    15 years ago

I have to agree w/Billyrae and Mrsubj.

I think the biggest misconception about the 'typical' anthurium and growing it in an indoor environment is the fact that they're 'low to medium' light houseplants.

I never was successful with Anthuriums until I absently placed one near my south window.
    (I'll say about a foot or so from the window..I'm sure if it were sitting directly in the windowsill the foliage would burn)....it grew and bloomed abundantly, so I began to collect more and placed them near the south window as well.
    Haven't lost one in a long time, and like Mrsubjunctive, have at least one that blooms almost continuously.

I had one at my office, too, that was doing poorly, so I moved it a couple of feet away from a very large west-facing window where it gets a bit of warm afternoon sun.
    That one, too, has grown a great deal and blooms abundantly.

My uneducated guess is that more Anthuriums grown indoors are 'killed' by a lack of adequate light rather than a lack of humidity.

Humidity hasn't been an issue at all for my 'common' anthuriums, though it certainly may be an issue for the more uncommon species.

I have a NO ID (lost tag - 'hookeri', possibly) 'birdsnet-type' Anthurium that does quite poorly indoors and doesn't improve or grow until it's taken outdoors during the summer.

• greattigerdane
    15 years ago

I just never found this plant to be anywhere difficult. I did think it was a difficult plant before for many years and always passed them up when I saw any for sale. I figured it would be did inside a month.
    By the way, I bought mine at Lowe's a couple yrs back for a mere $2.00 in a 6" pot near the end of the season.
    It looked a little raggy like some plants can look in box stores, but I just got rid of any of the torn of other damaged leaves and it looked like a new plant.

It gets some direct sun, but mostly south indirect. If the soil gets a little closer to dry then it likes, usually a single leaf will yellow as a warning.

I swear, it does not need any extra humidity to so well, if it did, mine would surely be door knob dead:O)

Billy Rae

• luvofroses
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hi everyone, Yes I went and bought me an anthurium. I found a very inexpensive one at walmart. It is on the small side.I am going to repot it in the same pot it came in, give it some good draining soil and put it in my south facing window. I used to be good with plants but I agree with Toni I did not want to loose an expensive plant but for $8 and some time on my part I thought the challenge would be good. I spend time taking care of my birds and my dogs each day how rewarding it will be to spend some time with a plant that may not be for the novice but if i can keep it happy how great would that be? I knew you were not talking behind my back. Everyone here in their own way has been very helpful. I am enjoying this forum and hope to be on here long enough to be call somewhat knowledgeable. Thanks I will let you know how my new plant progresses
    Ann

• pirate_girl
    15 years ago

You're on. Sounds like a plan, enjoy!

• nanw_4wi
    15 years ago

Good luck...please do let us know how it goes.
    May I advise you, though.... not to put it *directly* in the south window?
    About a foot away is sufficient.

• hort_lvr_4life
    15 years ago

Here's a site I stumbled onto last night. Maybe this will help? www.nsexotics.com

They specialize in Anthuriums! :-)

• greattigerdane
    15 years ago

Good for you, I'm sure you will enjoy it!

Now, why a plain ole Anthurium can be so pricey is beyond me! I use to see them for almost $20, yeah right! It's a plant that is sold practically everywhere you look. I mean, it just a plant! I guess I was lucky to find one for two bucks.

Billy Rae

• birdsnblooms
    15 years ago

Ann, 8.00 is a great deal. Do you know which Anthurium you got? Got a picture?
    Anne, what type of birds do you have?

Billy, you're saying Anthuriums are sold everywhere in NY? That's fantastic.
    Home Depot sometimes sells them, but even for a big box store, they're expensive..4" 17.99. 6" 29.99.
    At local nurseries you're looking at 30 and up.
    I guess cost is in the eye of the beholder, but IMO, 9.99 is pricy..lol..We're not Mr. Scrooges, but we're not Bill Gates either..lol.
    Back in 1999, I bought a Pandanus at HD for 21.00 plus tax..dh looked at me like, you're kidding, right? lol. The only plant I bought that was expensive was my Tree Gardenia back in 94/5. Guess I'm a 'dead cart' sort of person..lol..Toni

Here's the two Anthuriums bought at Walmart last year..3.00 each. lol

{{gwi:79807}}

{{gwi:79808}}

{{gwi:79809}}

The last, Crystal Anthirum, was bought as a tiny baby, for 19.99..it needs work. sigh

• pirate_girl
    15 years ago

Wow Toni, nice Anthuriums you got there!

If I'd seen 'em that cheapely over the yrs. I'd have more. In recent yrs. I see them in my supermarkets for btwn $4-12, depending on size.

Some time back I got a small one w/ red violet blooms. I struggle w/ it & recently converted it to Hyrdo. Well, it's still alive anyway, better than that I honestly can't say.

• greattigerdane
    15 years ago

Fanatic plants Toni! The leaves on mine aren't as big as yours, actually, mine could use a little more light, it's a space issue right now, plants will need to be moved around to make more room.

I absolutely love your Crystal Anthirum! Those patterned leaves are simply gorgeous! Very nice!
    Does it get any special care compared to your green ones? Do you grow all of yours in your GH?

Yep, I see Anthirums all the time, in the box stores, plant nurseries and grocery stores.
    Some I've seen are wayyyy over priced, others can be found for just a few bucks. I didn't get mine from the dead cart, although the cart can have some pretty good bargains, Bill Gates I'm not. lol.

Billy Rae

• luvofroses
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Toni my anthurium looks just like the top one that you posted. I would love to take pictures but i do not know how to get them to show up here. I have 4 birds. I have a 22 yr old African Grey, and 3 lineolated (linnie) parakeets. One is turquiose, one is green and one is yellow. They all have their own cages and now with the plants it is kinda neat to see plants and hear the birds.Peaceful to me.
    I did put my anthurium in a south facing window in my bedroom. Since i did that I went and bought new curtians to make sure it will get enough light and then kinda re-did my room to make the anthurium and my new hoya look really nice. Hubby drives a truck and will be surprised when he gets home. I am always looking for a reason to redecorate.
    Ann in So Ut.

• bunnygurl
    15 years ago

I bought my Anthurium last month in a 4" pot for $6.99. It had one flower and the leaves looked really good so I couldn't help myself. Since then it's grown a second flower and has a third on the way. And yet my Spath...has never flowered in 2 years. Aren't Spaths supposed to be simpler than Anthuriums?

• bihai
    15 years ago

I love anthuriums. They are NOT good as long term houseplants, IMO, because they are prone to overwatering in the indoor environment, and they are also prone to spider mites indoors. Anthuriums are MOSTLY epiphytic, and need high humidity. The 'flamingo flowers' (andreanums) will last in the house IF you can summer them outside to give them a break. Long term though, you stand to lose them unless you have exactly the right 'spot' that they can adapt to.

Here are some of my plants, I grow them all in a 'real' tropical environment. These are all species...I do also grow 'flamingo flowers" but prefer the species plants for their various neat forms.

Queen Anthurium
    {{gwi:79810}}

A. dresslerii x A. luxurians
    {{gwi:79811}}

Anthurium polyschistum
    {{gwi:79812}}

ANthurium willifordii
    {{gwi:79813}}

Anthurium reflexinervium
    {{gwi:79814}}

Anthurium faustinomirandae
    {{gwi:79815}}

• birdsnblooms
    15 years ago

Billy, you remember the, I think, Aglao you sent? It bloomed..one flower, but it bloomed..lol..Flower resembles Alocasia and Spathe. Does yours get more than one bloom?
    Anthurums in MY gh? No way, they'd freeze to death. Nights get way too cold..The only plants in the gh are Citrus, Agaves, a few Aloes, 1 Kal, 2 Birds and one Variegated Ginger. Oh and an Olive tree..lol..it's too crowded.
    Billy, you'd be surprised on the deals you find in a dead cart..lol. in and outdoor plants. Jewel, (grocery store) had Bleeding Hearts for .10..found two when we moved here in 1988..they're the first to sprout each spring.

Anne, you need to download pics to a site, like Flickr or Photo Bucket..Do you have a site?
    Oh, African Grays!! They are my favorite, other than tiels of course..I'm unfamilar with your keets though.
    Is your Gray a Congo or Timneh? Does he talk? They are the smartest parrot ever.
    Your hubby will get used to you rearranging..just explain you need to add more plants to beautify your home. lol

Bunny, is your Spath rootbound? They need a tight-fitting pot, the minimum, medium to bright light..it'll bloom.

Bihai, OMG!!!!!!! Your garden is so beautiful..God, it'd be nice having a garden of tropicals. You are so lucky, count your blessings.
    What is the plant in pic 4..green w/yellow center? Looks familiar..Croton? Gorgeous...Toni

• bihai
    15 years ago

Yes, that's a croton. Its about 6 ft tall at present.

• greattigerdane
    15 years ago

bihai,

Very, very nice collection!!!

Billy Rae

• bunnygurl
    15 years ago

Oooh Toni...ya know what, I think that may be it. It's in an 8" pot and my Spath is large but I don't think it's quite filled out it's pot yet, so I'll remember that and not be so eager to repot again. Thanks!

• greattigerdane
    15 years ago

Toni,

I have seen more then one flower. Sometimes there would be "twins" which look like two spaths braking off from one main flower stem.