Return to the House Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Ficus microcarpa ID??

Posted by houseplantlover86 6 (My Page) on
Sun, Mar 10, 13 at 18:12

Hi there,

I have had this container plant for some time now, and I know it is a type of ficus plant, but this is all I know. My question is what type of ficus? It looks similar to an F. microcarpa, but the leaves are rounded instead of straight and point outward, They are in tight clusters. The plant is very lush but the root system is kept very small. I would imagine upon planting the plant in a larger container it would grow taller and branch out more?

Can anyone help me on the ID?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Ficus microcarpa ID??

Hey HPL,

I wonder if we have the same plant.
I submitted a thread around a year or so ago.
Have a look and tell me what you think.

http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/fig/msg0304384814048.html?14861

o

Making link clickable.

o

Are the leaves really small, i.e. smaller than Benjamina leaves?

In which case it's sold in Eurpoe as Ficus Ginseng. I've got one at home and sell a lot at work.

o

asleep_in _the_garden, I don't think our plants are a match, although they are close!

StewartsJon, it looks like a match would indeed be the ficus Ginseng! The leaves match perfectly. Thank you so much for your help!

Eirinn

o

Thanks for the clickability purp!

...and HTP,..at this rate I think I am about to give up on finding out what my ficus is. Whatever it is I love it! lol

o

Pls. allow more time for responses, so that Al (Tapla) our resident Ficus man might come along & see it. I'd bet he'd know.

Personally, I've seen F microcarpa & F retusa used almost interchangably by some of these FLA nurseries making & selling bonsai style plantings up North. Have had a couple of them myself. Nice plant you've got there.

o

If it is a Ginseng, they love being pruned little and often and they seem a little less cold resistant than you might expect a Ficus to be.

o

As for mine,
..about a year ago Al suggested that it may be a Virens (in the link that Purp made clickable)but those have ridge type structures on the underside of the leaf.

Actually right about now I'm leaning toward Nitida.

o

• Posted by tapla z5b-6a mid-MI (My Page) on
    Sat, Mar 23, 13 at 13:52

It looks like F macrocarpa, aka Indian laurel and commonly sold as 'Green Island' ficus. Microcarpa has extremely bulbous/fleshy roots, even at a young age.

Al

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the House Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here