Return to the House Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help with Unknown Plant

Posted by bhimself none (My Page) on
Sat, Mar 2, 13 at 18:13

Hi all,
I was given this plant to take care of, and after a while of every-other-day watering & NE windowsill sunlight it hasn't grown or died, but I was hoping one of you could tell me what it is and what I could do better for it?

Thanks in advance!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help with Unknown Plant

Crassula Ovata more commonly known as Jade. The better forum is Cacti and Succulents

For it's size it looks good your watering should be held back for for a few days to maybe one time a week .. Rotate it in a bright to full sun southern window now and then to help remove the leaning. It's small enough to be growing slow. A blessing in disguise is you want it to grow slowly this time of the year for your area to prevent spindly leaf growth and leggy growth that would be unsightly and possibly have to be removed later this Spring.

o

Holy Horticulturists!
A fast, knowledgeable, and pleasant reply to help a wayward noob...
Thank you very very much for the reply!
For a while I figured as long as it wasn't shriveling, I was doing fine, but now I'm going to try putting some effort into it.
Any recommendations on dirt/soil or does it not really matter?

Thanks again!

o

looks rather leggy. i agree with the watering. i disagree that it is crassula ovata.

o

Yes, the leaves look a bit too thick for Crassula ovata. Of course, it's hard to see at that angle.

o

I like second opinions. Perhaps this photo might help?
The leaves are surprising thick, almost rather puffy-looking, and look to retain a bit of water.
They're otherwise smooth, nothing really unique about it.
If this is the same plant that my lat e grandmother had in her kitchen, it can grow ~1ft with a 2" diameter base...Noticeably different than the specimen I have here.
Any other thoughts/recommendations would be appreciated.

o

that looks like crassula ovata

o

It's a young C.Ovata (kind of like a newly hatched bird it needs time to spread it's wings for more peps to agree that it is what it is) the leaves hold water and will pull the plant down by water weight as it is doing in first pic.

Even at this small size there are a couple options to help keeping it upright, but as you mentioned. Your plant sitting (it's not yours)! I don't want too upset its owner by given advice to you that might not be what the plant owner wants.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the House Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here