Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ladylotus_gw

What is this plant?

ladylotus
11 years ago

I purchased this plant on the bargain table at Lowes earlier this fall. I've since potted it up and brought it into the house but have no idea what it is. I would love to know so that I can research it's growing habits and ensure I'm providing adequate sunlight, moisture etc.

{{gwi:80036}}

Also, a couple weeks ago I picked up this palm from Walmart. All the tags says is that it is a palm, will grow from 3' to 12' (I hope it gets closer to the 12' height). There were two palms there, the one I purchased had a purple tint to the stalks and the other had very green stalks and the tag said would only get 3 to 5' tall.

I purchased the taller one. Is there a specific name for it?

{{gwi:80037}}

{{gwi:80038}}

I am getting WAAAY too many house plants now that I got started.

Comments (10)

• plantomaniac08
    11 years ago

Ladylotus (I like your name),
    The first plant pictured is a form of Aglaonema, AKA Chinese Evergreen. As to the palm, I'm don't know much about palms.

Planto

• nancy_pnwzone8
    11 years ago

ladylotus,

i'm not sure on the palm, but i'm guessing that it's a majesty palm. they are one of the most commonly sold... but unfortunately they aren't supposed to do very well indoors.

planto is correct. your first plant is an Aglaonema. i don't recognize the specific variety, but it is one of the newer Thai hybrids.

in general, ags are considered low light plants. these newer, variegated plants can tolerate (and, in fact, need) a touch more light than their solid green cousins. an east window would be a good place for it, though you might want to protect it with a sheer curtain for the hotter parts of the year.

you can tell if the plant is getting the correct amount of light because the new leaves will be more green (less colorful) if the light is too low. if the plant is getting too much light, the leaves will burn, especially the lightest colored areas.

cheers,

nancy

ps i think elkay just bought the same ag a couple of weeks ago and posted a photo in another thread.

• ladylotus
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you both for the information. I'm so glad the Aglaonema likes lower light. It is getting quite a bit of indirect lighting from a large west window.

Drats on the palm. Interestingly, I went into town again today and saw the exact same palm I have that did have a tag that read Majesty palm. I think that might be the palm I picked up. I will go out and research what it needs to possibly survive.

Again, thank you for taking the time to answer my questions. I really appreciate that.

• plantomaniac08
    11 years ago

ladylotus,
    That's what we're here for. :)

Planto

• greenlarry
    11 years ago

the palm could be a Dypsis, but theyre like gulls to me-they all look the same,lol

nice plants both!

• ladylotus
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks guys. I'm not sure what it is. But I did see a palm that was exactly the same coloring as mine with a tag that stated Majesty palm. I went out to the Palm forum and it sounds like they really are quite difficult to grow indoors. Oh well, I will give it a try and see what happens. So far, everything is growing very well in there new homes.

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    11 years ago

If you do end up losing the palm, look for a parlor palm next time, Chamaedorea elegans. They are notoriously easy house plants. The shorter palm you saw when you got the majesty was probably a parlor palm.

• ladylotus
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks purple...I was out reading through the palm forum and did take note of quite a few other plants that do much better as house plants. I think the parlor palm or lady palm sound like better choices for the future. I got this one merely because I needed something that would get tall and the tag indicated it would reach 8 to 12'. Wish I could get it to grow to that height.

Thanks for the advice.

• garyfla_gw
    11 years ago

Hi
    My guess would be majesty palm also Though I grow a bunch of palms they are outside. The main problem with palms as houseplants is most get gigantic lol Some good choices that don't require a lot of light and tolerate lower humidity are the Chameodoreas family besides the parlor
    there are around adozen or so other members of the family all remain under 12 feet ,slow growing and require low light . If you can provide the higher humidity for some of the understory palms there are many other choices
    Most require year around moisture and warmth. as well as better soils but no problem for a houseplant.
    gary

• greenlarry
    11 years ago

Also try Chamaedorea metallica, another easy grower with distinctive fronds.