Return to the House Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How would you "fix" these?

Posted by Lamora 4 (My Page) on
Fri, Mar 1, 13 at 18:50

Hi again, thought I would post these in here while I can-- something is acting up with my keyboard, not sure what..

Anyway- my DH took that big long vine of Green Potho and cut it up in little peices, put them in a jar of water and low and behold! they grew leaves and roots!! He has planted a few, but then this one came along,, he isn't sure how to put it in soil... root is above the leaf..
 photo DSC02728_zpsf848d19b.jpg

Then this one, hanging on a hook on the ceiling-- does it have a chance? He wants me to leave it till he gets home Tuesday.. can it wait that long? leaves look good so far.
 photo DSC02729_zps53cccf04.jpg

I know he will do what he wants, but can I give him any ideas? Will the end still grow if we cut it?

Thanks in advance
Marjie :)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How would you "fix" these?

Leave the root above the leaves out of the soil, It will turn brownish and stiff, it will be fine.

The black stem over the hook is dead. You may be able to cut off and root whatever is left on the growing end.

o

thank you! i have liiked at this post for ten minutes trying to figure this out! i would to have suggested cutting the root off

o

I forgot to mention that some metals are toxic when they are in continuous contact rubbing against a plant's stem or other tissues.

You should cover the hook with a small piece of plastic or rubber hose. It will also soften the bend the plant has to take.

o

In your top pic, I would plant the piece on the left horizontally at the soil surface. That would give it the most encouragement toward making new growth tips - at each node making a root that doesn't yet have a growth tip.

Is there more to the piece on the right? I don't see any roots, or even nodes below the leaves, although the node AT the leaves should be "usable." The stem looks like it may be rotting below there, where it goes out of the picture.

Are you seeing some new tips on the original vine from which these pieces were cut?

o

the photo confuses me

o

Thanks, didn't think of the hook wanting to be toxic, apparently neither did my dh.. lesson learned.

The one on the right has no roots!! just the leaves, silly thing. It isn't rotting, just dark color. But it is growing. no nodes either,, very strange... just straight out of the stem.

As far as new growth on the mother vine, yes, a lot of growth. Can't believe it either with the abuse it has taken.

So either way for the left one then? either upright or horizonal, thanks, will let him know. he was wondering what to do with it, how to do it, thought I would ask.. :)

teengardener -- i am sorry to confuse you, but it seems that is what I do best these days, confuse people, lol

o

its okay. my eyesight isnt that great

o

I have seen pothos stems die off like that near the pots when they have been overwatered. The live green ends can be rooted. The black dried/shriveled section is dead.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the House Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here