Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lamora_gw

Spots on my Dracaena Warnekii

Lamora
11 years ago

Hi, hope you are all well.. :)

I was going thru my plants today, water/feed/talking to them and I came across this!! spots! What are they? (I tried looking it up, can't find anything that helps) They aren't bugs, looks like burn marks to me, but they are perfectly round. This is the only plant that has this and only on a few leaves... this happened so fast, they weren't there 2 weeks ago,

Can some one let me know what it is and what I can do about it? If anything?
{{gwi:80315}}

Thanks for any help anyone can give me.. :)
Marjie

Comments (8)

• tapla (mid-Michigan, USDA z5b-6a)
    11 years ago

Search Erwinia or Fusarium leaf spot - prolly one or the other. Symptoms so similar they often can't be told apart w/o a culture. Both common in dracaena. Have you been misting?

Al

• Lamora
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hi Al! ok, will look them up, see if it helps, and no, haven't been misting, I know I should be, so dry in here, but I haven't been...

Marjie

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    11 years ago

The reason Al asked about misting is because you SHOULDN'T! That's one way many of these diseases are spread.

I strongly suspect Fusarium, a very common fungal disease of Dracaena ....especially those that are either overwatered or planted in a medium that doesn't drain well, lacks porosity, and/or is too dense.

• Lamora
    Original Author
    11 years ago

oh, didn't realize that misting would do that. I don't mist much anymore, but come to think of it, i did just before these came up. Wonder why it never affected it before when I misted~~

the mix is the 5-1-1, and i don't water/feed till it is dry. I use filtered water.

I haven't looked those names up yet, going to do that right now. (no excuse but lazyness got to me) but thanks for the directions...

Majie :)

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    11 years ago

Check out page 13, about diseases, of this article from NDSU.

The whole section about plant problems seems pretty good, from a quick skim, but part about soil seems unfortunate to me, peat and sand are not stuff I want in pots, and I've never met anyone who baked their dirt in an oven. What's the point if one is going to put a pot outside?

• Lamora
    Original Author
    11 years ago

purple-- thanks so much! that info was awsome- now in my favorites~~

I cut off the leaves that had spots, wiped down the other leaves and put it away from the other plants, now crossing my fingers.

There were some other spots starting to form, yellowing spots, I didn't read how it spreads tho, will the other plants that were around it get it if it was caused by misting? (no more misting btw)

Looks kinda sad now tho, the larger leaves were the ones i had to cut off, so now it looks kinda sad, uneven, but it had to be done.

Thanks for the info tho, very much apprecieated by everyone.

Marjie

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    11 years ago

Marjie, didn't want to let this slide by without reinforcing the simple main point.

Spores of all types of nasties are in the air at times, and may or may not land on plants. A spore landing on a plant outside in the rain might just be washed to the ground. Misting leaves inside provides the cultural conditions for the spores to germinate and create an infection. For this reason, misting is not recommended, and can cause unnecessary damage.

• Lamora
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks purple- was wondering why misting wasn't good, was actually going to ask, but now i dont have to... :)

So does the same thing happen if I give them a good spraying down? Like a shower? They really seem to like that once in a while. Now I'm afraid to.

But thanks for the explaintion on this subject. Still learning.
    Marjie :)