Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gardengroomer0920

Spent blooms on Oxalis plant

gardengroomer0920
13 years ago

I recently acquired an Oxalis from the grocery store. I am wondering what to do abt the spent blooms? Pull the petals off (deadhead)? or pinch the stem off? if so where do I pinch? I love this plant and trashed my last one when it went dormant (not knowing I would have seen new growth had I mustered on.) Please help! This Irish girl wants her Oxalis for a long time! :)

Comments (11)

• tapla (mid-Michigan, USDA z5b-6a)
    13 years ago

Neaten (that a word?) up the plant by cutting through the peduncle (stem that supports the bloom) as close to the soil as is comfortable.

I'll link to a thread (below) that has good info about growing shamrocks.

Here is what you need. Messermeister herb shears, About $5 and killer for deadheading & little snip jobs around plants. Works especially great for deadheading plantings & mixed plantings outdoors.
    {{gwi:80318}}

Al

Here is a link that might be useful: Happy St. Paddy's Day!

• jodik_gw
    13 years ago

I have a little orange handled pair of those, Al... they were part of a pack of different sized scissors. I love them for small trim work and working in tight spaces.

Years ago, I had an Oxalis plant... I wish I had known then what I know now. Plus, I wasn't aware they came in such a vast array of varieties, some very rare and beautiful! Or that certain types were considered invasive weeds!

• jojosplants
    13 years ago

I had a green one last season, and got a purple the other day. Maybe now that I know more about how they like to grow it will be a better season, and I can keep them around longer.

Great thread to link to Al.. Thanks!

Would one mix work better than the other? I was thinking of putting mine outside in a planter with annuals.. so was figuring on the 5-1-1..
    Just don't have alot of room for them as a house plant.

JJ

• jojosplants
    13 years ago

Hello!
    Mine is Oxalis triangularis , large leaves. Almost look like butterflies.

I do have a small green one with yellow leaves in the garden that is a stinker to get rid of! ;-)

JJ

• birdsnblooms
    13 years ago

Garden, what color is your Oxalis? After flowers fade, remove entire stem. (not leaves)

Oxalis lasts forever. If by chance leaves die back, don't toss the plant..let it rest. Once you see new growth, place in bright light and water.

IMO, purple is the easiest to grow. My purple Oxalix was started with one bulb, (early 90's) is alive and well today..I've had a few greens that kicked the bucket.

{{gwi:69228}}

There are some beautiful Green Oxalis around, including a tree type. The little green Ox next to the purple was a tree Oxalis, but died long ago.

An early, Happy St. Patrick's Day...Toni

• jojosplants
    13 years ago

Hi Toni,
    The picture you posted is the one I have now.
    Is it a current picture?

I can't remember the name of the green one I had, I got it from ebay. Will probably get some more in the next week or so, it was my moms favorite. It had some redish color towards the center.

I had spaced out the dormancy of it, and it died. LOL!

JoJo

• birdsnblooms
    13 years ago

Howdy Jojo,
    The picture was taken last summer.

There's some true green beautys, but I kill them. lol.
    The Oxalis your mom likes, green and red, sounds very pretty..

What's spaced out dormancy mean? lol..Toni

• jojosplants
    13 years ago

spaced out, as in forgot...
    I forgot about them , out of sight, out of mind. lol...
    so I never watered in a few weeks to wake them up.

JoJo

• norma_2006
    13 years ago

From Norma Lewis, I have the pink ones, the deep pink also called 'Rubra' another that has green leaves, but yellow veins, and light pink flowers, then I have several that grow from bulbs, I dead head them like explained above. I have the deep red purple one as well, but forgot it's name, perhaps 'Iron Cross' Norma

• birdsnblooms
    13 years ago

Jojo, hope you didn't toss your Oxalis. It might be napping. If you kept it, place in a bright, sunny window, and water. Wait a few wks..you should see new growth.

Norma, the Oxalis you mentioned sounds lovely, too..Wish I could keep green w/color, but they die.
    Purple Oxalis..the name I've seen is O. Triangularis. Toni

Sponsored
Hoppy Design & Build
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Northern VA Award-Winning Deck ,Patio, & Landscape Design Build Firm