Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mojavelove

My Pothos is so weird

MojaveLove
13 years ago

I have had more "plant events" with my new almost all white Marble Queen Pothos (except for one all green vine, it is aboute 75% white it looks really cool), which I have only had for 2 or 3 weeks, than any of my other plants ever.

First, it smelled really bad the first night in its new home. Never smelled again. Some on here debated it was my dogs though lol but I SWEAR it was the plant.

Then a week after that a few leaves turned yellow from over watering at the greenhouse so I got rid of those. Strangely, except for one white leaf that is slowly browning, all of those leaves were on the single green vine.

Every time I water it it smells like rain.

It's growing pretty fast for a Pothos, especially one that is mostly white. A leaf that was just barely shooting out of the vine when I got it has almost quadrupled in size. Still hasn't fully been "born" yet though.

Today it is crying, not sure why. A few of the leaves have clear liquid hanging off the edge. I watered it last night. My Chinese Evergreen did that in the summer but I figured it was from humidity. Why is my plant crying? Is that bad? What does it mean? I also found a random lady bug on it. Should I get rid of it or let those two have some time together? I noticed lady bugs on my other Pothos (it is not at this house), I guess they are attracted to them. Weird.

It's funny because I find Pothos to be so typical and boring and yet it has brought me more excitement than my other plants combined.

Comments (8)

• tapla (mid-Michigan, USDA z5b-6a)
    13 years ago

What you're observing is called guttation & occurs mainly when plants are over-watered or in dim and humid weather. The lady beetle is considered a beneficial, so I'd leave it to its own devices.

Al

• gravyboots
    13 years ago

I've seen both my Epipremnum & Monstera do it - like a runny nose... in my case, it is just over-watering & usually corrects itself in a day or two.

If your plant is on any furniture with a finish, there may be some water spots over time, so you may want to move it or get a placemat for it... and, of course, adjust watering habits :)

• MojaveLove
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks! :) Maybe I did over water but it was starting to wilt yesterday. It's in a shady room though and it was really humid today too.

Here is the little bug on my plant, it was taking a snooze!
    {{gwi:80325}}

• tapla (mid-Michigan, USDA z5b-6a)
    13 years ago

Wilting can be an indicator of over-watering. Soggy (anaerobic) soil deprives the roots of the oxygen they need to function efficiently, or worse, actually causes root rot. The result in either case is roots that cannot move enough water to the leaves to keep them pumped up (turgid), so they wilt.

Al

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    13 years ago

Mojave, has anyone told you (yet) that you should provide this particular Epipremnum with plenty of light or you will lose a lot of the variegation? All of that pretty white variegation means that there are fewer chloroplasts to serve as energy producers for the plant. These plants need more sunlight than their all green counterparts.

Pardon me, please, if this has been mentioned previously.

• birdsnblooms
    13 years ago

Mojave...it's gorgeous...Since it's doing well, I'd let it be. Unless, like Rhizo stated, variegation reverts to green, you might want to place in brighter spot. Toni

• MojaveLove
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Actually the left half of the plant has started to very faintly turn more green - only half of the plant is directly in front of the East window. I moved it so it is now completely in front of it. How does that work, say a Marble Queen (or any variegated plant really) turns all green because of bad light. It then is moved permanently in front of a window with the right amount of light. Does the verigation come back? I'm not sure how that works.

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    13 years ago

Remember, Toni, mojave has only had this for a few weeks. It takes time for the loss of variegation to occur. Now IS the time to get it into some better light.

Mojave, the plant will begin reproducing more cells with chlorophyll. Also, such a plant may drop some leaves...and any new ones that regrow will be green (or greenER).

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading Kitchen & Bath Remodelers in Franklin County, OH