Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lamora_gw

snow!!! ugggh!!!

Lamora
11 years ago

I guess Miss Spring went back to sleep~~ again, been snowing for 2 days now!! Not even 30F, yesterday it didn't get to 20 with the wind. So guess who is bored out of her mind??!! (besides her dog) ME! So I got busy and repotted some plants that I was going to when it got warmer. I do hope they will be happy. Not to many, just a few.

The sad looking Rhispalis Eliptica I got from WM, I cut off a lot of the broken/torn segments, I decided that if i was to do them all, I wouldn't have a plant! so a few segments are still torn/brused etc, but it does look a whole lot better. I also took some good segments and potted them in soil, under a plastic bag till they root, just to see if something comes of them.

The soil felt like a hard sponge, had to soak it to get it off. Roots were matted all over the place, but I got the old soil off, put it in the new mix, rinsed it off real good and watered it. That was the only one I was really wanting to do.

Then came the Pothos that were water rooting, real good roots too, so they are in soil now. Potted a Thanksgiving Cactus that was water rooting too. Oh and I put 2 hoyas in the same pot, real pretty now, looks like a full plant now~~lol. But this is what happens when I get bored, and computer games are just not cutting it right now~~ hope I didn't hurt anything...

Will take pics when the camera recharges-- silly me, not like me to let it get that low.

Anyway~~ hope everyone is good and plants are good too, and tha Spirng will wake up soon~~ but like my brother reminded me~~ this is typical of March around here.

Marjie :)

Comments (39)

• Sarah1502
    11 years ago

No snow here. But it is rainy and cold. It is getting down into the 30's at night. I haven't done any repotting or rooting. Mostly I'm just waiting for it to warm up so things can go outside.

Have a great weekend everyone!

• larry_b
    11 years ago

Hi Marjie,

We are right in the middle of your snowstorm here in Denver. We have about three or four inches of snow on the ground already and the forecast is for 5 to 10 inches by 6:00 PM Saturday. Nope, winter hasn't gone yet from Colorado. But that's OK. We need the moisture something terribly. Even though I don't like the snow, it's supposed to snow and get cold in Denver in the wintertime. If it doesn't then bad things happen.

One problem we were having this winter was that our gutter heater had broken. The gutters would clog up and water would run onto our front step and landing. It would be like a glacier there and we would have to barricade the front steps so that people didn't inadvertently come to the front door and slide on their behind or worse. Luckily two days ago we had a new gutter heater installed just in time for this new storm. I'm looking forward to using the heater in the next couple of days. It darn well better work! lol

But it is March and the snow will melt fairly quickly and good weather will come again. I am hoping for more precipitation in March and April though. This has been a very dry winter and the lawns and crops really need the moisture.

Larry

• teengardener1888
    11 years ago

Im tired of the snow myself. It is starting to melt. Not expecting any more snow. The crocuses are starting to come out.

• wndy_gardenweb
    11 years ago

gah, crocuses--I'm jealous. I grew up in Seattle and seeing those come up when everything else was still asleep always made me giddy. Now I'm in Minnesota and..... snow.... on the ground.... almost April..... ;-/

• auron22
    11 years ago

Gah! It's snowing today! Kind of neat seeing my daffodils and crocus in a sea of fluffy white, but not bloomed yet. I'll just have to stare at my house plants awkwardly a little longer. I am considering purchasing more orchids on ebay....

• flora_uk
    11 years ago

We're having a foul March - coldest for 50 years. I was in London at the weekend and the parks are full of daffodils and plum blossom wearing snow hats. We're all heartily sick of it. Temp today 36f. Same day last year was 68f.

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    11 years ago

Didn't think I'd get involved in this post, but after waking up to frost for the 3rd morning in a row, I'm whining anywhere I think people will listen. No snow but whine, whine, whine!!! Wishing everyone more warmth SOON!

• ozarkia
    11 years ago

I feel ya, Purple. Being in basically the northwestern extreme of the southeast, I was confused and perturbed by snow in March (or snow at all, really). It's back to 70F today, but I still see some mid-20 lows forecast this week. But it's giving me the itches somethin' awful! Perhaps it's a good time to sweep up oak detritus from my porch and start fiddling with plant stands and such, eh? :\

11 years ago

Golly gee I like your positive attitude! Trying to catch it...

• larry_b
    11 years ago

Hi all,

The snow pile from the last storm has melted. We had a high of 65ð today and a forecast high of 67ð tomorrow. Except for Monday with a forecast high of 38ð, we will be in the fifties to sixties for the next 10 days. And except for two nights we will not get below freezing. We're definitely into spring now. It even smells like spring. And it should be. Monday is the first day of April.

We have crocuses in the backyard and our ornamental grasses are starting to show green shoots. Life is starting to show itself again.

Larry

• Lamora
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Good Morning!! I'm surprised of how many responded to this thread! We got up to 60 the other day. My DH made me some shelves for my plants outside and boy, did they enjoy that!! Had to bring them in for the night, and yesterday day was iffy, but today it looks like an outside day for them again.. they will be able to get the morning sun. And as long as the neighbor doesn't let his stupid truck run for hours on end, (don't ask- we don't know) they should be getting a lot of fresh air. In fact, one little plant that we almost forgot about, was in a little corner in the back of the pack here in the bedroom, was looking like it was dying, so we watered it, put it outside and boy! did it show us how much it wanted to live! looks like a different plant now, and that is a good thing.... :)

He also put in a longer shelf in the bedroom, they have a lot more room now and I can see what I actually have.. ummm he made it so i have room for MORE!! Not sure if that was his intent or not, but it is here--- lol

But I think Spring is here to stay (knock on wood-- hehe)
    I hope everyone else is getting warmer too.. :) For us and our green little family...

Marjie

• asleep_in_the_garden
    10 years ago

34 degrees and snowing.

Man it sucks up north. Growing season feels like it comes and goes in like 5 minutes.

Times like these I ask myself why the heck I came up here anyway! LOL

• ozarkia
    10 years ago

I think tonight *might* be last frost here. Or next week. Eh. :( But whenever it kills the mosquitoes back off for a bit, I'm happy . . .

• asleep_in_the_garden
    10 years ago

LOL lucky you! :)

So there's the silver lining,eh?

...Guess it IS quite a bit less buggy up here.

Ya might make an optimist of me yet! :D

10 years ago

Doing my best to blow some warm air up there!!

• teengardener1888
    10 years ago

we had a warm week until yesterday in the 60's. The crocuses and snowdrops are finishing off. The early daffies are up. The leaves of tulips are up. The pussy willows are past their best. and who can forget about forsythia, the buds will burst open anyday

• emerald1951
    10 years ago

Hi all....its a winter wonderland here.....yesterday we woke up to 9 inches of snow, today we woke up to another 6 inches of snow....this is Minnesota in the spring.....and this is my backyard......linda

• teengardener1888
    10 years ago

THAT LOOKS MORE LIKE JANUARY THAN APRIL

• teengardener1888
    10 years ago

THAT LOOKS MORE LIKE JANUARY THAN APRIL

• larry_b
    10 years ago

Hi all,

We had our snow this last Monday. It's been cold all week until now. Now it's up to 56ð and the snow is all gone. It is April in Colorado though and anything can happen. I don't expect this will be the last snow we will be having.

Larry

• larry_b
    10 years ago

Hello again,

We are having one heck of a snow storm in Denver. At 10:00 mountain time, which was about 2 hours and 20 minutes ago, I measured 14 inches of snow accumulation in my front yard. It's been snowing since then, but I'm not sure how much additional snow we have received. I will find out in the morning.

The snow has almost stopped though and is going north. They talk about some snow tomorrow and maybe some more on Wednesday. It will be interesting to see what happens. So, Spring has not completely come to Denver.

Larry

PS: Here are some photos of outside my front door at 6:00 pm CDT earlier today. You may notice that there is very little snow on the street. The temperatures have been very warm the last several days and the streets and sidewalks are still warm from those warm days. The snow accumulation on the grassy area was about 8 inches when these photographs were taken.

{{gwi:80380}}

{{gwi:80382}}

This post was edited by larry_b on Tue, Apr 16, 13 at 2:59

• wndy_gardenweb
    10 years ago

Hi all! I went to NY for a week--my sister just had a baby!!! (first in our family!). I have a lot of catching up to do, but I wanted to post on this thread :-)

This is such a great thread to read--everyone posts about cold weather, then we all get hopeful when it warmed up... and then Mother Nature comes in and crushes our green dreams, hehehe.

I am definitely feeling "snow ughhh!!" I, too, am in Minnesota and while I missed the 6" of snow while I was away, I got treated to more snow the day after I came back, and sleet and some ice pellets too! The mini-hillside behind my apartment is still covered in snow, and the trees are still bare. I had a dream that the leaves came out and I couldn't see the housing development up the hill due to the green. Woke up, and yup, it's still winter...

It's above freezing, so I hope it's melting... At least I can see the deer and birds easily...

New Yorkers on here... I'm jealous! There were these shrubs with yellow flowers everywhere, and all the shrubs and some trees were budding! It definitely felt like spring there.

I am not jealous of those in Oklahoma who were treated with an ice storm a bit ago--my boyfriend showed me pictures of all these beautiful green shrubs and flowering trees, all frozen and sealed in ice. yikes! I hope the vegetation can weather that kind of freeze....?

OK back to tidying up around here. I think sometime this week I'll catch up on GW... just wanted to pop in and say hi!

• Lamora
    Original Author
    10 years ago

hi again, cold windy and trying to snow. SLC got it pretty bad yesterday. Was funny tho, yesterday we had Cub Scouts and we were supposed to practic the flag raising/folding to pass it for some of the boys. It was snowing and very cold wind. We went inside to do the opening, flag and prayer, and it was as if the good man above heard us and knew what we were doing. It stopped snowing and blowing just long enough for us to go out, raise the flag, bring it down, fold it up and bring it in. As soon as we got back inside it started snowing again..not enough to stick tho. Everyone noticed that, got a kick out of it, so prayers are answered.. :)

Today we are supposed to get more snow, not even 30F right now and the wind is wicked cold!! I think Spirng is going to pass us up and go straight to Summer!! gonna be a short one this year, I think.

• asleep_in_the_garden
    10 years ago

Went outside a few minutes ago and GUESS WHAT???

Snow...on the ground...accumulating.

• asleep_in_the_garden
    10 years ago

Cleaning up an accidental double post. Sorry! :)

This post was edited by asleep_in_the_garden on Thu, May 2, 13 at 2:28

10 years ago

OMG! It's of course not snowing down here, but we should be running the A/C by now. It keeps raining, raining, clouds... I'm hesitant to even put away the heaters, one of the lows predicted in the near future starts with a friggin 4! What the heck IS this?! Spring I guess, not supposed to have that here.

"It's gonna be cold, and gray. And it's gonna last you the rest of your life." - Phil Connors

Starting to feel like Bill Murray (Phil Connors) in Groundhog Day!

• teengardener1888
    10 years ago

i FEEL BAD FOR PEOPLE WHO STILL HAVE COLD. i PU MY PLANTS OUTSIDE A FEW DAYS AGO OVERNIGHT AND THEY AHVE NOT BEEN INSIDE SINHJCE

• faerybutterflye
    10 years ago

No snow here in southern OK, but we're having unseasonably cold temps just about every week as another cold front sweeps through. Since I planted my flower seeds outside, we've had 4 frosts/freezes & tonight will make 5. I'm praying that the local folklore saying of when the mulberry trees & pecan trees have fully leafed out, it shouldn't be a killing freeze. I'm keeping everything crossed! I read on my OK Gardening forum, from our resident weather buff, that this pattern is expected to continue for us into June or even July (with the jet stream dipping down into TX & bringing us strangely cold temps at night). I can't decide whether I'm happy about this or not...b/c it may signal that this summer won't be as hellishly hot as it was the last few years. But, will I even have any flowers to enjoy this year? Hmm, I don't know which is better. Very glad I don't have a huge garden this year, though, that's for sure.

Whatever varieties survive this spring weather will be classified as hardy, indeed, in my book. We went from 85 degrees yesterday to a high of 48 degrees today. We're under a freeze warning tonight thru tomorrow morning. Last night before bed, I had to switch my AC over to heat. It's extremely windy today, sustained at 24 mph, gusting over 40 mph. This is definitely a potent front that's moving through. It's been a strange spring for us all.

• teengardener1888
    10 years ago

thats OKLAHOMA for you. I would give up outdoor gardening if i lived there

• faerybutterflye
    10 years ago

Teen, only in Oklahoma & Texas, where I grew up, can you have all 4 seasons in a week, or sometimes, even in a day! LOL. One thing for sure, the weather around here never gets boring.

• wndy_gardenweb
    10 years ago

"all 4 seasons in a week, or sometimes, even in a day! " -- what a wonderful world we live in!

Up here in Minnesota it hit about 80F over the weekend, and on the 30th it was warm enough that I wore a skirt (about 70?).. well the very next day it was snowing and fast! Luckily we're far enough north that we missed the bulk of it--about an hour south of us got 15" of snow!! None of our snow stuck, thankfully! It's still cool out though, so I have kept all the plants I moved on the deck inside for now. :-/

I'm trying to convince one of my sisters to move to the midwest--this weather isn't helping! :-O

• asleep_in_the_garden
    10 years ago

So you're about an hour north of me eh? LOL

.....And yeah,..it's STILL snowing out there as we speak. Right about now I think it would be the other way around and it would be me asking my sis if I could move...Oh heck,..it wouldn't matter WHERE she was so long as it wasn't here! :)

• Lamora
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Snowed yesterday morning, but it was gone by noonish. But oh my!! what a wicked wind we had!! cold too. Today tho it got up to almost 60F, sunny and bright. Hope it keeps it up for a bit. We had a freeze the other night, almost makes me glad I don't have an outdoor garden, I have to wonder how many plants died from that.

I put my plants out for some fresh air today for about 2 hours, then brought them in, wind was picking up too much for me. (yes, still paranoid) plus the temp is supposed to drop down to the mid 30's tonight....

• Lamora
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Snowed yesterday morning, but it was gone by noonish. But oh my!! what a wicked wind we had!! cold too. Today tho it got up to almost 60F, sunny and bright. Hope it keeps it up for a bit. We had a freeze the other night, almost makes me glad I don't have an outdoor garden, I have to wonder how many plants died from that.

I put my plants out for some fresh air today for about 2 hours, then brought them in, wind was picking up too much for me. (yes, still paranoid) plus the temp is supposed to drop down to the mid 30's tonight....

• teengardener1888
    10 years ago

Im pretty content with the weather. The wasp are very annoying. Lilacs are budding and peonies are coming up. Cant wait for the famous Albany Tulip festival In Albany, NY

• asleep_in_the_garden
    10 years ago

Believe it or not,there's still snow on the ground but it should be melted and gone by tomorrow. The piled up stuff is all that's left and the earth is gradually swallowing the last of it (which is great for humidity).

Just started getting the plants out yesterday and got a few more out today. FINALLY!!

Things are looking up! :)

• teengardener1888
    10 years ago

Summer is here in albany, Planted tomatoes already

10 years ago

Awesome! Seeds I put near the fence are sprouting. That took forever since it stayed cold, cloudy, rainy so long. Thinking about getting a couple plants much more developed already.

Do you let them all ripen, or do you like fried green tomatoes?

• asleep_in_the_garden
    10 years ago

Love em...ripe and chilled as a salad,green and fried,stewed into all kinds of foods I adore.

Last couple of years I did a tomato type thing that swallowed the whole plot which was about 4ft by 16ft or so. Not too sure yet if I will do it again this year...season's off to a bad start if you ask me. My optimism id suffering with the drop in temperature up here. this saturday it may even freeze from what I'm seeing so far and although I haven't put ALL the plants out yet,those that are may just have to come back in and the room isn't ready to store them at the moment. Yaknow how as the collection develops you just kinda cram things as you go? Well after un-cramming it would seem I really don't have as much space here as would be convenient to store em til it warms up again(and it doesn't help that the room is upstairs,right?). Right now it's about 53 out there and that's a bit lower than most tropicals need to be putting up with for extended duration. Wish me luck that I don't end up repeating your experience a bit earlier. Would break my heart if my ficus benji took a hit...I started it from mere twigs a little over two years ago I think. :)

Sponsored
Iris Design Associates
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars22 Reviews
Northern Virginia Landscape Architect - 13x Best of Houzz Winner!