Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
weedlady_gw

Is there hope for cold-killed jade plant?

weedlady
10 years ago

Our furnace went off when we were away on vacation. We had asked a neighbor to go in & check on things last Saturday morning prior to our return. He called to tell us the inside of the house was at 36 degrees. He got a furnace man in to fix the problem, and the temp was back up to 56 by evening and 68 the next morning. I don't know how long the furnace was off, but do know temps under 50 are not good for jade plants!

When we returned home last night, I found that the leaves and younger stems of my 2' tall jade plant were all soft and hanging down.

Since I doubt that the cold lasted long enough to kill the roots, I am wondering if I might be able to bring it back by cutting it back to nodes on the thicker, still solid stems and repotting it in some fresh soil (which it really has needed for a while anyway). Any comments/suggestions?

I had propagated this plant from one my mom had, so I have kind of an attachment to it.

Comments (14)

• tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱
    10 years ago

If it stayed above freezing, you should be ok. Mine has seen mid 30s with no issue, in fact, cooler temps help it color up in fall.

Any chance of a pic?

tj

• fred
    10 years ago

Where they grow naturally the temp regularly goes down to 0 deg C in winter. They can handle that...

• pirate_girl
    10 years ago

As long as they're DRY they can handle it -- important distinction!

• petrushka (7b)
    10 years ago

yeh, you can and probably should cut it back to solid branches. as PG said - if they are dry low temps are not a problem at all. i keep mine outside until low 40s. but they can stand to almost freezing - provided they are bone dry and no rain falls on them.
    what is the condition of soil in the pot? is it wet? damp? dry?
    prune it, let it dry up - do not water , do not repot for now. put it in good light and see if growth starts in a month or so. then you can repot.

• weedlady
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Well, mine certainly did not "handle" the 36 degrees F that they experienced last weekend fro an unknown period of time.

I have 6 other jade plants in addition to the one big one; all but one (and I have no idea why the one was any different) suffered the same soggy fate. I normally water them only every few weeks or so, when the soil is quite bone-dry. I watered just before going on vacation, however, so the soil in the pots was damp.

I did cut back the big one as per Petrushka's advice. I will leave the others just to see what happens since, as I mentioned, one plant remains unharmed, so I can start others from that one if I wish.

Attached are several photos of the damaged plants. A number of other indoor plants were frozen as well a couple of geraniums, 2 spider plants, a begonia, a dwarf hot pepper plant, etc.. The leaves of my young aloe nothing but skinny water balloons...

Hm. Seems I only can upload one photo at a time.

• weedlady
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Here are some of the assortment of other frozen plants. There was also a large geranium plant that I will treat as the large jade plant I first posted about (cutting back to a good branch) since there was one sprig of undamaged leaves and I am theorizing that the roots are still OK. and I figure the 2 spider plants, having tubers, also may recover, I have cut the foliage on those back to about 2".

• weedlady
    Original Author
    10 years ago

This plant, on the same shelf as the other plants in a west-facing window, has no sign of damage whatsoever.
    (Obviously I have moved it and the other plants from that window for this series of pictures!)

• plantomaniac08
    10 years ago

weedlady,
    Here's to hoping your plants can/do recover. I left a Sansevieria out one night only for it to be frozen the next morning. The temperature wasn't even that cold, but I had neglected to cease waterings once the temperatures started getting colder.

I bet your 'Spider Plants' will come back if the roots are still viable (maybe you can unpot just to make sure they're not mush?).

My MIL seems to "kill" hers off every year and they come back the next year more lush than ever! I think she's even repeatedly "killed" a 'Peace Lily' a couple years in a row, but it has come back from the roots. I don't know if she's kept them dry or not though.

Granted, she does things to her plants I cannot replicate unless I want to kill mine. Keeps them in real low light, drowns them, you name it. They thrive. It's annoying honestly. :P

Let us know if any of your plants come back. They may just surprise you! If you sense any "firmness" on your Jades, you could cut back to the firm part and as long as the roots haven't rotted, they should be fine.

*crossing fingers*
    Planto

• petrushka (7b)
    10 years ago

am not sure, but your other frozen jades are all small in the pic?
    IF there is a wooded part of the trunk that is not mushy - that part should survive, but not the green. also the rot might advance into the lower trunk. it's chancy to leave them as is. can you see if any of small jades wooded at the base? and if so - cut off on one plant as an experiment? but do not water any of them - keep them in west window, so long as it's not very cold there. IF the soil is damp - give them good light, but a normal 65F location, so they can dry up faster.
    the mushy jade leaves will not harden up in my experience. they can be ok if very dry and wrinkled, but not if wet and mushy.

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    10 years ago

This is the stuff of nightmares, so sorry! How long were you gone? I wonder if it got colder than 36 at some point? Spider plants also should have been able to survive. Do you think your neighbor watered the plants? Was there water in the drip saucers when you left?

Planto, my Mom often has the same luck - maddening!

• plantomaniac08
    10 years ago

Purple,
    Haha! At least I'm not alone! :)

Planto

• weedlady
    Original Author
    10 years ago

We were away from 2/21 through 3/3; the neighbor checked the house for the only time on Saturday 3/1, in the morning. But no, the neighbor definitely would not have watered the plants and no water remained in the saucers when I left, either. I water sparingly; in winter especially.

It could possibly have gotten colder than 36 in the room where the plants live for the winter--a guest room on the NW corner of the house (that gets the brunt of the winter winds) and farthest from the thermostat. Normally I leave the door to that room closed to keep it cooler than the rest of the house all winter, and also had moved to that location the plants that are usually in a southeast-facing window when we are home. Turned out to not be a good decision since the heat went off!

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    10 years ago

A couple of my Jades barely survived a freezing at 28F for about 5 hours.....but they *did* survive, and now they're full again. Just took a long time. Here's a Thread on that ill-fated freeze....lots of pics.

Frozen Jade - back from the dead....

Josh

• weedlady
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Josh, thanks! I am very hopeful now after viewing your series of photos. Here is what my big plant looks like since I pruned off the frozen "limbs."
    I also added a lot more perlite when I re-potted it.

Hopefully I will be able to report back with happy results -- although jade plants do grow pretty slowly so it could be a while!

Thanks to all who have made suggestions.

Sponsored
J.Holderby - Renovations
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Franklin County's Leading General Contractors - 2X Best of Houzz!