Return to the House Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help Mammy

Posted by Sugi_C none (My Page) on
Wed, Mar 6, 13 at 19:41

OK, I overdid it a bit.
This little girl was hanging out at OSH when I stopped by for ONE THING (not a plant) in completely dry, hardened soil but she looked so colorful and reminded me of one I used to have, that I brought her home. Despite the dry soil, she looked healthy.

I had some gritty mix on hand at home and immediately took to repotting her.

First mistake, I didn't even water her before ejecting her from her old home.
Second mistake, I untangled all of her roots and nicely gave it a trim. I do this to all of my plants and 95% love it; I can't say this is the only time they haven't appreciated the extra effort...

End result: a very sad, pitiful Mammy.
To the left is the day I bought it. To the right is earlier today.

Any ideas on how, if at all possible, I can help her a little? I've only watered her and put her closer to a bright window....

She's so...limp! :-*(

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help Mammy

i would continue watering and hope for the best

o

I would encase in a clear plastic bag until she perks up.

o

• Posted by tapla z5b-6a mid-MI (My Page) on
    Thu, Mar 7, 13 at 17:06

I agree with Marguerite - just don't allow the leaves to touch the sides of the bag, and leave a little hole for some air flow. It should be ok. I saw your thread today over at containers - strong work! ;-)

Al

o

• Posted by Sugi_C 10a - SF Bay Area (My Page) on
    Fri, Mar 8, 13 at 17:39

Al! Thank you, sir. I'm glad you read it; I was terrified going ahead with it without having your stamp of approval on the mix! :-)

Thanks to you guys -- LOOK!
She's baaaa-aack!!

Difference btwn Mar 5 and Mar 8

I did put her into a plastic bag after a thorough watering. But the leaves had to touch the side because I couldn't think of any concoction to make to cover it up without the leaves touching. So instead, I gathered the leaves up (the way the plant should have looked and put it inside a back and closed it up with one small hole for ventliation. That was yesterday afternoon, and today --- I undid the bag because I noticed even when I moved the plastic a little, the leaves were standing.

She's baaa-aaack! I didn't kill her.
And then this makes a 100% success rate in repotting my plants into gritty mix. :-)

o

Very good!

Just keep the upper layers of mix moist while the roots are re-establishing themselves over the next few weeks. After that, you can allow the mix to dry down a bit more.

Josh

o

Thats wonderful! Putting the plant in plastic was a wonderful idea! I love croton and I'm nursing it along. I brought it at lowes in a 4 In pot and it lost a couple of leaves. I was worried about its health but it grew new leaves. they are such beautiful plants

o

Have two crotons ones itty bitty the other is as full as they get inside, love the comparison! Your beautiful pictures make me want to try a mammy croton! will be looking in the future :)

o

• Posted by tapla z5b-6a mid-MI (My Page) on
    Sat, Mar 9, 13 at 13:50

I had a strong feeling the plant would rebound, based on the picture you'd supplied. Good job! .... love your enthusiasm, too!

Al

o

What can I do to get mine to grow? It just sits there. How much light do they like?

Tricia

o

Tricia, I think these like a lot of high light. Bright but without sun burning down on it?
I have mine right up against my south windowsill; the sill can get pounded but up against the wall on the table doesn't receive but maybe 30 minutes of direct sun. It's pushing out new leaves so I presume it's growing well, but then I nearly murdered it by repotting it, so what do I know lol?

They will also not turn into multiple colors as they should w/o access to bright light.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the House Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here