Return to the House Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
ben. ficus problems HELP!

Posted by jhanback1989 WV & MD (My Page) on
Sun, Mar 10, 13 at 19:43

Hello! I just rescued two 5 foot tall ben. ficus trees from my work. Needless to say my boss was going to throw them out so I threw them in my car instead. These trees were always in a full sun walk-in porch area at the entrance to the hotel. They sat in this area all winter never got frosted on or snow on them just the cold air. The trees are still green and have lost some leaves but most intact and are still green. All the leaves are droopy though and almost dried out (none are yellow or brown). In attempts to conserve to energy for them I made sure to trim all dead branches and leave still a good bit of leaves, branches. Also I noticed that they were vary wet from staff overwatering so I repotted them both in good dry soil in attempts in avoid further damage. I know that they are going to drop many more leaves because they wont receive as much sun light as they did at work but still good amount. Does anyone have information on what I could do to keep my trees alive or are they already dead? When I trimmed them they were still fresh and green in the branches and what not and the roots looked good too. Im clueless when it comes to house trees...lol

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: ben. ficus problems HELP!

• Posted by tapla z5b-6a mid-MI (My Page) on
    Mon, Mar 11, 13 at 19:33

I'm going to leave you two links. One is about how to maintain trees in containers for the long term, and goes into detail about root maintenance, something that should be a priority for you come summer.

The other link will be to something specific to Ficus in containers. I think you can gain a much better understanding of what's involved with maintaining tropical trees in containers in good health, indefinitely. If you have questions ......

Al

o
RE: ben. ficus problems HELP!

• Posted by rina_ 6a Ont (My Page) on
    Mon, Mar 11, 13 at 20:47

j

Threads above are best you can read if you are really interested in having these trees to grow & be healthy.
I 'saved' my old 8' Ficus B. (just last June) by root prunning & repotting exactly as I learned from Al (tapla). The roots were real mess and I ended up prunning off a lot - look at photo how tangled they were.
Ficus was potted into smaller pot & into a free-draining soil mix (5-1-1).

I have never repotted or root pruned any plant before, but now everything is getting this treatment when repotting.
Tree has never looked better, there is a new leaf on probably every single branch now.

Pls. post photos if you decide to do it.

Rina

This post was edited by rina_ on Mon, Mar 11, 13 at 20:55

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the House Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here