Return to the House Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Scale? Leaf residue from pest?

Posted by greattigerdane z5NY (My Page) on
Thu, Mar 10, 11 at 19:52

I'm not sure what I'm looking at here on my hoya finlaysonii. I know there are different types of scale out there, but this is not the typical houseplant scale with brownish colored bumps.
The marks are slightlu raised, white and looks almost tarter like. Some are small, not fully rounded, some are streaks.
Is this a certain type of scale?
Or. maybe this is thrip/pest damage and the white is the juice from the leaves scabbing over?

Here's a couple of pictures

Thanks,
Billy Rae

nnn 2875

nnn 2872

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Scale? Leaf residue from pest?

You might start at the link below until someone else comes along that knows more.
The link is for diseases not pests but it might help...

Here is a link that might be useful: asp net

o

Perhaps not a disease/pest at all, but instead edema? Sometimes spelled oedema.

o

Thanks gobluedjm and jean001a, much appreciated!

I'm glad no one thinks it's a pest! I had sprayed the leaves a couple of times before and the marks are still there, although they can easily be dislodged with a little surgery using a sharp kitchen knife though.

I will look at the site goblue and look up some photos of edema.

Thanks again:)
Billy Rae

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the House Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here