Return to the House Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Dracaena compacta

Posted by houseplantlover86 6 (My Page) on
Sun, Mar 10, 13 at 20:21

I have a Dracaena compacta that I am keeping in the basement at the moment, so it's not getting much light. I have been letting it dry out between waterings -- is doing this okay, or should i keep it more evenly moist at all times? I ask this because some of the leaves are yellowing/browning, and I'm not sure why.

Is this due to underwatering or lack of light?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Dracaena compacta

Please describe that soil mix for us. If it really is how the picture portrays it to be, that might be the problem, or part of it.

o

My best guess would be the soil is just straight up potting soil with some perlite in it, all topped by a layer of sphagnum moss. My understanding was that by keeping the moss damp, you wouldn't have to water as much. There is definitely some leaf tipping, and every once in a while, an entire leaf will get brown and crispy (i just pull these off).

o

If you are using tap water, it may be a fluoride issue. Switching to distilled, rain, dehumidifier condensate, may help. Taking the plant to a sink when it's time for a drink, so water can drip away instead of sitting in the saucer, can be helpful also.

Potting soil is usually composed of tiny particles that fill every available space in a pot, if there are no tiny air pockets throughout the pot, the roots can suffer. From the plants' perspective, watering more often is good, but not everyone's schedule can accommodate that. Something to consider when this plant needs to be repotted. Many would consider changing the soil a reason TO repot. When it can come out of the basement, you may want to see if the roots still have room to grow or if the pot is full of roots.

Moderately dry between waterings is good, but bone dry is probably letting it go too long. Hard to make that call over the WWW, the weight of the pot can be a good indicator, but gets to be less of a helpful tool as plants get bigger and heavier.

o

hmmm one word that stands out-damp! If it were just the lower leaves that were yellowing then Id say it could be normal but if its appearing anywhere then it sounds like poor drainage, lack of oxygen to the roots. When you water how quick does the water go through the soil?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the House Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here